[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix "ex" limitations

root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) (07/19/88)

The SCO Xenix 2.2.1 /286 "ex" editor seems to have a low limit on the
maximum file size it can edit. I attempted to edit my pathsfile (about
700K) and it gave me the error "tmp file too large".

Is there some way around this? Disk space and memory are not problems.

Thanks

--
Jay Libove               Internet: libove@cs.cmu.edu libove@andrew.cmu.edu
5313 Ellsworth Avenue              formtek!ditka!libove!libove@pt.cs.cmu.edu

tif@cpe.UUCP (07/26/88)

Written 10:08 pm  Jul 18, 1988 by libove.UUCP!root in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>The SCO Xenix 2.2.1 /286 "ex" editor seems to have a low limit on the
>maximum file size it can edit. I attempted to edit my pathsfile (about
>700K) and it gave me the error "tmp file too large".

I don't consider a 700K text file to be a "low limit."

>Is there some way around this? Disk space and memory are not problems.

If God had intended you to edit 700K text files he wouldn't have invented
the split command   ( :-)  The sarcasm was necessary for effect.)

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			ihnp4!sys1!cpe!tif

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (07/31/88)

In article <6800014@cpe>, tif@cpe.UUCP writes:

> If God had intended you to edit 700K text files he wouldn't have invented
> the split command   ( :-)  The sarcasm was necessary for effect.)

Then why did He allow Stallman to create Gnu Emacs?

> 	Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.

I should have known...

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca

andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) (08/08/88)

In article <58@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) writes:

>The SCO Xenix 2.2.1 /286 "ex" editor seems to have a low limit on the
>maximum file size it can edit. I attempted to edit my pathsfile (about
>700K) and it gave me the error "tmp file too large".
>
>Is there some way around this? Disk space and memory are not problems.

Looks like you hit ulimit.  This prevents you creating files greater
than 1Mb.  An ex tmp file can easily be twice as large as the file
which you are editing.  Try:

ulimit 1000000
ex large_file

Note that only root can increase ulimit :-(

Andrew Beattie
Sphinx, 43-53 Moorbrige Road, Maidenhead, England
mcvax!ukc!reading!riddle!andrew
andrew@sphinx.co.uk
+44 62882 2266
#include <disclaimer.h>

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (08/21/88)

In article <796@riddle.UUCP>, andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) writes:
> In article <58@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) writes:
> >
> >The SCO Xenix 2.2.1 /286 "ex" editor seems to have a low limit on the
> >maximum file size it can edit. I attempted to edit my pathsfile (about
>
> Looks like you hit ulimit.  This prevents you creating files greater
> than 1Mb.  An ex tmp file can easily be twice as large as the file

In releas 2.2 SCO increased the default ulimit to something silly in
the giga byte range.

> Note that only root can increase ulimit :-(

A default ulimit can be set in the file /etc/defaults/login (I think that
is the name, one of the default files any way).

The only time I have seen the "tmp file to large" error message is when
I have run out of space on the root partition.

-stacy

--
"He to whom the early bird runs best learns wisdom and patience!
                          ... I can never remember proverbs" - Charlie Brown