[comp.unix.xenix] Specifying control chars in L.sys file

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (08/23/88)

With regard to plain vanilla SCO Xenix 2.2 UUCP:

Is there any way to specify in the L.sys file, that control characters other
than Break and EOT be transmitted during a login sequence ?

A site which I would like to connect with uses a communications front-end
which requires a sequence including several Returns and Ctrl-D's to identify
which machine is to be connected with. Once passed this, the Unix login takes
over and all is as it should be.

The Xenix manuals specify 3 special keywords, `@', BREAK and PAUSEn which
send an EOT, Break and pause n seconds.  The Ctrl-D's are probably no problem,
I should be able to insert `@' to indicate Ctrl-D in the sequence. However, I
can not find any reference to sending Returns, or any other control characters.

I have tried \r and \15 which appear to transmit slash-r and slash-1-5
respectively.  I have also tried `^M' which doesn't seem to send a thing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: {uunet|...}!masa.com!{dsix2|marob}!daveh
DOMAIN: dsix2!daveh@masa.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/24/88)

In article <375@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
| With regard to plain vanilla SCO Xenix 2.2 UUCP:
|
| Is there any way to specify in the L.sys file, that control characters other
| than Break and EOT be transmitted during a login sequence ?

  I hate to say it, but you can get the "Trailblazer uucico" package
from SCO for free, which includes all of this stuff. It is also easy to
patch the number of windows, which can give you a 50% increase in uucp
transfer speed. Why not just call SCO and ask for it?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (08/24/88)

In article <375@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>With regard to plain vanilla SCO Xenix 2.2 UUCP:
>
>Is there any way to specify in the L.sys file, that control characters other
>than Break and EOT be transmitted during a login sequence ?

yes, get the uucp upgrade disk from sco.  there is a so-called "Telebit
Fix Disk" which contains, amongst other things, a uucico that will run
at 9600 (and 19200 ???) baud.  AND - the uucico supports the \d, \r, etc
commands you need.

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.UUCP)                           HASA, "S" Division

    "If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong."
                -- Norm Schryer

jamescb@sco.COM (James Bohem) (08/24/88)

In article <375@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>With regard to plain vanilla SCO Xenix 2.2 UUCP:
>
>Is there any way to specify in the L.sys file, that control characters other
>than Break and EOT be transmitted during a login sequence ?

With regard to plain vanilla, no. Some of us thought this was generally useful
stuff, and it got hacked in earlier this year. SCO Support (800-626-4381) has
a "Telebit Utilities" disk available which contains a uucico that has the
expect-send sequences you are looking for. Additionally, Xenix 2.3 (soon)
has Honey-DanBer UUCP, which also has this capability.

I apologize for wasting bandwidth on this subject again, but while I'm at it:

comp.unix.intel

is my pref. for the *_ONE_* newsgroup for *NIX discussions on i*86's.

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/24/88)

Well, the uucico that comes with 2.2 (and less) does not support any
other expect/send escapes, but SCO has a version that does; it's part
of the "Telebit utilities" support-level diskette.  Call SCO support
and ask for the diskette; I don't know if they'll send it to
non-supported customers or not.

If you can wait, 2.3 is supposed to have HoneyDanBer UUCP.
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (08/25/88)

In article <375@marob.MASA.COM>, daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) writes:
> With regard to plain vanilla SCO Xenix 2.2 UUCP:
> Is there any way to specify in the L.sys file, that control characters other
> than Break and EOT be transmitted during a login sequence ?

I had this very same problem (amongst others) in 2.1.3, which is distributed
with (a very) stock uucp.  Call up sco and ask them for the "updated uucp fix".
I don't have the exact name of it handy (its at work); if you need more info,
drop me a line and i will dig it up for you.

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (08/26/88)

In article <375@marob.MASA.COM>, daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) writes:

> With regard to plain vanilla SCO Xenix 2.2 UUCP:
>
> Is there any way to specify in the L.sys file, that control characters other
> than Break and EOT be transmitted during a login sequence ?

I have a similar need. One site I want to connect to have their modems
connected to an Encore Annex terminal server, from which I have to use
'rlogin host' to open an 8-bit transparent connection to the machine.
I also have to send a few other strings first to disable xon/xoff flow
control.

And like Mr. Hammond, I have found no way to do this with SCO Xenix/286
2.2.1 UUCP.

Suggestions are welcome.

	- Robert

Robert Claeson                          Tel:   +46 8-7300300
PVAB                                    Fax:   +46 8-7301567
P.O. Box 4040                           Eunet: robert@pvab.se
S-171 04 Solna, Sweden                  Uucp:  {uunet,mcvax}!enea!pvab!robert