[comp.unix.xenix] Full Save advice wanted

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (08/28/88)

I have SCO XENIX 286 2.2 up on an AT-clone.  I have extensively
customized the configuration files, have lots of new directories,
device drivers and data on the system.  I need to archive EVERYTHING so
I can use the hard disk for MSDOS for a few months.  After that time, I
want to be able to restore EXACTLY what the drive has on it now.

I figure that when I go back to XENIX I'll have to reinstall stock
XENIX from the original disks, then restore from the backup floppies I
will make.  Should I use dump, tar, or cpio?  Please provide me with an
appropriate command line (including options).  I'll be backing up onto
1.2M floppies.

Thanks!!!

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
Applications Programmer, CompuServe	      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (08/29/88)

In article <20847@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) writes:

> I have SCO XENIX 286 2.2 up on an AT-clone.  I have extensively
> device drivers and data on the system.  I need to archive EVERYTHING so
>
> will make.  Should I use dump, tar, or cpio?  Please provide me with an
> appropriate command line (including options).  I'll be backing up onto
> 1.2M floppies.

The best way I have found to do what you want is to use the backup command
via the sysadmin script.  Do a full backup onto the floppies, and when you
are done you will have to make a boot/root floppy using the
	mkdev fd
command.  Make it on a 1.2 meg floppy, copy over the sysadmin script, and
test it by getting a backup list.  When you are done with dos I have found
that I first do a basic installation (to create the filesystems,etc), then
boot off the floppy and do a restore onto the hard disk.

If you prefer to do the backup by hand the command is:
	backup 0ufk /dev/rfd096ds15 1200 /dev/rroot

the restore command is:
	restore rf /dev/fd096ds15 /dev/?????

where the ???? is the device name of the hard disk root partition.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.