[comp.unix.xenix] Korn shell available?

tensor@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steven Murphy) (08/26/88)

Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
shells would also be of intrest.

						Thanks,

						Steve

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/26/88)

In article <5302@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> tensor@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steven Murphy) writes:
>Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
>shells would also be of intrest.
>
>						Thanks,
>
>						Steve

The korn shell is available from Mortice Kern Systems as part of
a package with awk and crypt.  Discount houses offer this at $105
or so.  I have NOT tried it.  I do NOT know whether it will run
on 8086 Xenix.

One has to wonder why they bundled it with awk and crypt.

I do not have the Xenix version but own the MSDOS implementation.
It is worth every penny.

Perhaps SCO should get its corporate buns in motion and work out
a deal with MKS.

Earl H. Kinmonth, History Department, University of California,
Davis, California, 95616

916-752-1636/0776

Disclaimer: This is AmeriKa!  Who needs a disclaimer!

Internet:   ucdked!cck@ucdavis.edu

UUCP:       {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!ucdked!cck

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/27/88)

In article <2934@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ucdked!cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
| In article <5302@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> tensor@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steven Murphy) writes:
| >Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
| >shells would also be of intrest.

| The korn shell is available from Mortice Kern Systems as part of
| a package with awk and crypt.  Discount houses offer this at $105

[ that version is for MSDOS, not Xenix. The Xenix version is advertized
  in UNIX WORLD and others, I think for about $145. ]

| Perhaps SCO should get its corporate buns in motion and work out
| a deal with MKS.

Since there is a version available I don't think this was a fair criticism.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/27/88)

In article <2934@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ucdked!cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> In article <5302@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> tensor@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steven Murphy) writes:
> >Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
> >shells would also be of intrest.
>
> The korn shell is available from Mortice Kern Systems as part of
> a package with awk and crypt.  Discount houses offer this at $105
> or so.  I have NOT tried it.  I do NOT know whether it will run
> on 8086 Xenix.

It is not free from bugs!  It runs "fine" on a 286, but again, I've no
knowledge of compatability with the 8086.  (nor do I want it :-) I see
no reason why it won't, since it does so fine under MS-DOS.

> One has to wonder why they bundled it with awk and crypt.

Because, of all the things missing from Unix (besides ksh) (sorry, Xenix
in this context :-), in Canada (and, in general, outside of the USA), is
crypt.

> I do not have the Xenix version but own the MSDOS implementation.
> It is worth every penny.

The MS-DOS version seemed to be better, but then, you don't always know
when something's trashed DOS, so you won't always know who to blame.

> Perhaps SCO should get its corporate buns in motion and work out
> a deal with MKS.

Hopefully, when they get around to it, the "merged" Xenix/Unix will come
standard with ksh.  (The real thing, not some re-implementation.)
[ Notice I didn't say "buggy implementation".  I was more than happy
with the MS-DOS version, when I had to use DOS.  I haven't used the
Xenix version extensively, and some of what I say is pure rumor.
However, when it comes to Unix, I'd like to see the original be
included, just because it's there, so there.  Fewer flame wars that way,
and, besides, all this competition isn't healthy :-) ]

BTW:  Does anyone know what the official position of AT&T is regarding
the inclusion of ksh in a port of System V Rel. 3?  I've been told ISC
was prevented from including it in the 386/ix release, but Microport
(and/or Bell Tech.) have made it available.

A licensed, extended, version of ksh is available from Aspen Scientific.
This one is supposed to have been derived from the AT&T sources.

If you really want, I think the source for ksh is still available from
the AT&T Unix Toolchest.  It was $3000.  Not bad for a csh replacement :-)
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/27/88)

davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
ucdked!cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
tensor@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steven Murphy) writes:
>| >Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
>| >shells would also be of intrest.
[ discussion of MKS ]

>Since there is a version available I don't think this was a fair criticism.

There is another, I originally got mine for a PC 6300 PLUS and got a 40%
discount when I upgraded to Xenix -

Aspen Technologies, Inc.
P.O. Box 5727
Parsippany, NJ  07054   (201) 316-0866 (they accept collect calls)

A nice addition they made to ksh is kforms, a menu-like thing that lets
you do things within the shell that you'd otherwise have to do (sigh!)
with curses...  Last note, they are the only source for documentation
written for mere mortals, very easy to understand and even examples that
serve a useful purpose.  Foo and baz are OK, but these people give you
something to type in and watch!
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (08/27/88)

In article <1988Aug26.215001.14603@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <2934@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ucdked!cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu
(Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>> In article <5302@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> tensor@killer.DALLAS.TX.US
(Steven Murphy) writes:
>> >Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
>> >shells would also be of intrest.

>BTW:  Does anyone know what the official position of AT&T is regarding
>the inclusion of ksh in a port of System V Rel. 3?  I've been told ISC
>was prevented from including it in the 386/ix release, but Microport
>(and/or Bell Tech.) have made it available.

	AT&T has not bundled ksh as a part of SysV.  It is available
	as a separate product.  If ISC were interested in paying the fees,
	they could distribute it with their system.  My information comes
	from a lecture that David Korn gave last spring.

>If you really want, I think the source for ksh is still available from
>the AT&T Unix Toolchest.  It was $3000.  Not bad for a csh replacement :-)

	This buys you a site license, which has been interpreted to apply
	even to very large sites (whole universities).  I think that the
	price for an individual machine is about $150, for source.  Then
	you get to port it yourself.

	A new version of ksh is supposed to have been released in late
	spring or early summer.  The book on ksh was due for release right
	about now;  we'll probably see it within the next few months.

Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish@denali.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (08/29/88)

In article <23380@labrea.Stanford.EDU>, karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:

> >If you really want, I think the source for ksh is still available from
> >the AT&T Unix Toolchest.  It was $3000.  Not bad for a csh replacement :-)
>
> 	This buys you a site license, which has been interpreted to apply
> 	even to very large sites (whole universities).  I think that the
> 	price for an individual machine is about $150, for source.  Then
> 	you get to port it yourself.

(sigh!) I wish ! AT&T sells KSH sources through the "Toolchest" where a
single fixed price gets you source code plus unlimited rights to binary
redistribution royalty free.  The current charge for KSH is $20,000, rather
steep when you consider that far more complex packages go for much less.
Most of the distributors haven't ponied up the $20,000 because we don't
want to spend the cash and then get caught short when AT&T releases KSH
as part of 4.0 in a better release.  I guess no one believes that AT&T
can resist getting sane for much longer, and that KSH inclusion in UNIX
is imminent.

Dimitri Rotow

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/30/88)

In article <256@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:

| (sigh!) I wish ! AT&T sells KSH sources through the "Toolchest" where a
| single fixed price gets you source code plus unlimited rights to binary
| redistribution royalty free.  The current charge for KSH is $20,000, rather
| steep when you consider that far more complex packages go for much less.

	Perhaps you're looking at the wrong charge here? The cost of a
vendor license is, as you say, $20k, with the right to resell the
binary at any price (including free with your product). For about $4k
you can get a site license for all computers at one location. I would
expect that anyplace with a few systems would find that a pretty small
cost per machine.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)