[comp.unix.xenix] Looking for a Simple Text Editor

root@ttsi.UUCP (Super user) (08/31/88)

In article <2557@shark.TEK.COM>, donr@shark.TEK.COM (Don Riss) writes:
> In article <4912@fluke.COM> pwl@tc.fluke.COM (Paul Lutt) writes:
> >I have been asked by one of our users to try to obtain a "simple to
> >learn and use" visual text editor.  He considers vi and emacs to be
> >much too complicated for the casual user.  He also considers the PC-
> >based WordPerfect to be too complicated.
> >
> Has anyone written or considered writing a UCSD-Pascal-like editor for
> VAX or SUN or whatever?  The UCSD editor will do a lot of things, some
> of them the hard way, but its main advantage seems to be that moderately
> intelligent seventh-graders can (and have) learned it quite easily.

If you're looking for VI or Emacs type editing this Article
does not apply.

We have located a SIMPLE screen editor for Unix which has the
these features:

	o Full Screen Editing
	o Highlighted Cut/Paste
	o Multiple file edit
	o Read sections from other files
	o 64 Command sequence full UNDO !
	o Operates on 650K+ file sizes
	o Variable text caching
	o On-line help
	o User definable keystroke - command options
	o KeyMacro definitions
	o Your basic search - replace etc editing

If you've ever worked with a editor like Breif, Screen, or other
plain TEXT oriented editors, and liked them, this is what the
doctor ordered.

I've been using this editor and found no features lacking for
program and general text editing. It does not have all the features
of EMACS and VI, but I've found that I use more of the features
in uscreen than VI or Emacs because they make 'sense' to me.

The documentation is scant, but after using the editor for a few minutes
I found I didn't need the paper documentation.

There are some limitations to uscreen.

   o  Uscreen currently supports two terminal types, VT100 and
       a AT BUS screen controller (EGA, VGA, CGA, Herc).

   o It's available only for 386 Systems - Xenix 2.2.3 or 2.3

If you'd like more info send your request via e-mail ...!ttsi!alex