[comp.unix.xenix] Keyboards and Xenix

raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) (09/01/88)

	I have a friend who bought one of those 386 clones to run Xenix.
Since he used to have Xenix 286 on the old machine he installed it on the
386 machine until the new release of Xenix 386 is available.
	The problem: the keyboard locks from time to time (mostly at the
"login:" prompt from getty) and to unlock the keyboard, he has to unplug
the keyboard, change the switch on the bottom of the keyboard from AT
mode to XT mode, plug the keyboard again, hear a bw3eep from the computer
(because of incompatible keyboard), switch back to AT mode and ...
the keyboard is unlocked.
	That is amazing but I would like to know if I am right of suspecting
the keyboard as being incompatible with Xenix 2.2 or maybe Xenix has a bug?

Ron Herrmann  (jkfmny!ron, ron@jkfmny.UUCP raanan@bklyncis.BITNET)

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (09/01/88)

In article <1280@bc-cis.UUCP> raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
>	The problem: the keyboard locks from time to time (mostly at the
>"login:" prompt from getty) and to unlock the keyboard, he has to unplug
>the keyboard

In release 2.2.1, the release notes section 3.5 talk about this problem.
The fix described is to patch the xenix kernal with adb and set "ledspresent"
to zero.  This is supposed to cure keyboard lockup, but unfortunately it
also disables the keyboard LED's.

I run into this problem every couple of days on my ALR system with a
Keytronics keyboard.  I haven't tried the patch, because I'm unwilling
to give up the LED's.  This is kind of unfortunate, seeing that this
Keytronics is one of the "industry standard" keyboards.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP | I've been a wizard since my childhood.
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-0486 | And I've earned some respect for my art.

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (09/02/88)

In article <1280@bc-cis.UUCP> raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
>	I have a friend who bought one of those 386 clones to run Xenix.
>Since he used to have Xenix 286 on the old machine he installed it on the
>386 machine until the new release of Xenix 386 is available.
>	The problem: the keyboard locks from time to time (mostly at the
>"login:" prompt from getty) and to unlock the keyboard, he has to unplug
>the keyboard, change the switch on the bottom of the keyboard from AT
>mode to XT mode, plug the keyboard again, hear a bw3eep from the computer
>(because of incompatible keyboard), switch back to AT mode and ...
>the keyboard is unlocked.
>	That is amazing but I would like to know if I am right of suspecting
>the keyboard as being incompatible with Xenix 2.2 or maybe Xenix has a bug?

This is a bit far fetched, but on the standard tty lines getty() [or one of
its partners-in-crime] drops DSR between logout and the next login: prompt.
This is apparent on vt220 look-alikes which are connected to modem-control
lines. You will see the KLOK message appear between logout and login, on
the vt220 status line.

Perhaps (1) the same action occurs on the console line, and (2) your keyboard
also locks when DSR is dropped ? Just a thought.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: {uunet|...}!marob.masa.com!!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (09/02/88)

In article <1280@bc-cis.UUCP>, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:

> 	I have a friend who bought one of those 386 clones to run Xenix.
> 	The problem: the keyboard locks from time to time (mostly at the
> ...the keyboard as being incompatible with Xenix 2.2 or maybe Xenix has a bug?

The problem is really in the hardware keyboard controller, but SCO has
published a fix for this in the 2.2 release notes -- see the section
on "Keyboard Lock-up".

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim