[comp.unix.xenix] scsi drives with xenix

leigh@unibase.UUCP (Leigh Calnek) (08/31/88)

I am interested in installing an scsi drive on my xenix 286
system.  Has anyone any experience with this and can share their
experience with me?

Leigh Calnek
3002 Harding St. E.
Regina, Sk. Canada
S4V 0Y4

kevin@iisat.UUCP (Kevin Davies) (09/05/88)

In article <91@unibase.UUCP>, leigh@unibase.UUCP (Leigh Calnek) writes:
> I am interested in installing an scsi drive on my xenix 286

Be sure you obtain the SCSI version of Xenix which just became
available from SCO (not sure about a version for the 286 machines).

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin

neese@cpe.UUCP (09/06/88)

>> I am interested in installing an scsi drive on my xenix 286
>
>Be sure you obtain the SCSI version of Xenix which just became
>available from SCO (not sure about a version for the 286 machines).

  Actually, the SCSI version that SCO has is only available in OEM
quantities (Version 2.2.4).  A new version of 2.3 is expected that will
support SCSI drives, but right now, the only place that I know where
you can buy 2.2.4 is at Radio Shack.
  As far as experience with the SCSI stuff, we have been running the
following configuration without any problems and have experienced some
very nice gains in the system throughput as compared to ESDI drives.

Tandy 4000 16Mhz 80386
4MB Memory
17 Serial Ports
EGA Console
1) Quantum SCSI P80 Drive (80MB)
1) CDC SCSI Wren IV	  (344MB)
1) Cipher SCSI Tape Drive (150MB)

As a side note,... Neal Nelson tested this configuration and came up with
some interesting numbers.  On all disk related I/O, the system came up 83%
faster than a Compaq Deskpro 20 with a 130MB ESDI.

					Roy Neese
					Tandy Computer Product Engineering
					ninja!cpe!neese