[comp.unix.xenix] adaptec 2322 cont / maxtor 338 drive / 386 Xenix

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (09/02/88)

Has anyone out there used an Adaptec 2322 controller? I want to go beyond
my Maxtor 140 meg drives on my 386, so that kinda puts me into ESDI land.
I'm looking at a Maxtor 338 meg ESDI drive, but to put it in my Xenix system
I need the bus to see it as a WD1010 compatible drive, not native ESDI.
Adaptec tells me that the 2322 does appear to the system as a regular
AT ST506 controller, like a WD 1003.

Has anyone done this? Also, I've heard that (maybe early) models of the
Maxtor 338 (380 unformatted?) drives may have had high failure rates. If
anyone has experience with this combination, please send me mail. Thanks.

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim

kevin@iisat.UUCP (Kevin Davies) (09/05/88)

In article <794@applix.UUCP>, jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
> I'm looking at a Maxtor 338 meg ESDI drive, but to put it in my Xenix system
> I need the bus to see it as a WD1010 compatible drive, not native ESDI.
> Adaptec tells me that the 2322 does appear to the system as a regular
> AT ST506 controller, like a WD 1003.

If the controller itself will appear as a normal ST506 controller to
the system, then you only require the basic version of Xenix (whether
you're running an ESDI drive or not).

If you have a controller that will only appear as an ESDI controller
to the system, then you need the ESDI version of Xenix.

--
Kevin Davies		International Information Service (IIS)
UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!kevin

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/06/88)

In article <794@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:

>Has anyone out there used an Adaptec 2322 controller? I want to go beyond
>my Maxtor 140 meg drives on my 386, so that kinda puts me into ESDI land.

Yes, the 2322 is WD-1010 compatible at the register level.  It should
work without any problems in your system if the system supoports 34-36
sectors per track at the driver level.

You might also want to try the Adaptec 2372 RLL controller with your
Maxtor 1140 drive (and also use all 1220 cyls on the 1140, even if they
tell you about 918 of them :-)  Remember, tho, that if cyls 919 - 1220
don't work, Maxtor doesn't care :-)))

  -John Plocher

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/07/88)

From article <457@uport.UUCP>, by plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher):
> You might also want to try the Adaptec 2372 RLL controller with your
> Maxtor 1140 drive (and also use all 1220 cyls on the 1140, even if they
> tell you about 918 of them :-)  Remember, tho, that if cyls 919 - 1220
> don't work, Maxtor doesn't care :-)))
Careful there.
To my knowledge, Maxtor makes three 140MB St-506 disks.
Two of these are 918 cyl, 15 heads, the MK I consumes more power than the MK II.
There is also a cheaper disk with 11 heads, and some larger number of cylinders.
Note that a WD1010 can only access 1024 Cylinders, due to an internal 10 bit
register, and it does a MODULO 1024, corrupting cylinder 0, when it tries
to write to 1024.  Also note that some controllers can only access 8 heads,
due to a 3 bit head address, rather than the 16 heads (2^4) under ST-412.
--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold