[comp.unix.xenix] rpp386 PD archive problem

feuer@sunybcs.uucp (Steven Feuerstein) (09/07/88)

After downloading several programs from rpp386 I tried to compile:

month - appointment scheduler program

and several other downloaded programs using the Make file included in
the downloaded file.  In many cases, the following error occurred:

/bin/ld: fatal error: :group larger than 64k bytes

I am on a SCO 286 clone.  How can I correct this problem.

Thanks.

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (09/08/88)

In article <1071@cs.Buffalo.EDU> feuer@sunybcs.uucp (Steven Feuerstein) writes:
>After downloading several programs from rpp386 I tried to compile:
>
>                      In many cases, the following error occurred:
>
>/bin/ld: fatal error: :group larger than 64k bytes
>
>I am on a SCO 286 clone.  How can I correct this problem.

you need to compile in large model.  the default model for '286 systems
is small.  may programs won't fit in small model, so they must be compiled
for large model.

rpp386 is a '386 system.  small model for it is 32 bits with 4GB segments
so i don't have those problems.  the CFLAGS in many makefiles will have
to be adjusted to include -M2l for 286 large model compilation.

month has been banged on and the makefile has been corrected to include
the needed options.  you can pick up the current copy, or add -Ml2 to
the CFLAGS line in the Makefile.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

    "If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong."
                -- Norm Schryer