[comp.unix.xenix] Panic with shell layering

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (09/12/88)

Some time ago I got ksh to work on SCO Xenix 2.2 (286) with job control
using the "shell layering" feature. I configured a lot of shell layers,
since the 12 pseudo-consoles each needed 8 layers, plus 8 for each of the
2 serial ports...
It all works pretty well, almost feels like having a BSD system.
(you stop jobs with control-z, play with "bg" and "fg", all just like on
a Berkeley system. i really loved it...)
BUT... every once in a while the kernel panics when switching between
foreground and background. (about once every half hour when i use it...)

Did anybody else experience panics too when using shell layers?
If so, is there a fix, or is it just another feature to be avoided?

Paul.

(by the way, NO i cannot give you this ksh, since it is owned by AT&T)

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (09/13/88)

In article <8189@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>[... stuff deleted ...]
>BUT... every once in a while the kernel panics when switching between
>foreground and background. (about once every half hour when i use it...)

[Having nothing at all to do with the subject]  I would think equating
`every once in a while' to `about once every half hour', when discussing
panics, is like calling the Atlantic Ocean a puddle :-)

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: uunet!masa.com!{marob|dsix2}!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com