[comp.unix.xenix] simple

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/10/88)

what is the minimum amount of memory a 286 PC must have in order to
run xenix 286?  will things run at all with 640k or 1M?

does xenix 286 run in protected mode all the time?

what amounts of swap space can be specified?

what is the swap block size -- is this configurable, too?

is it worth $595 ??  what about Microport?

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/10/88)

In article <1826@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>what is the minimum amount of memory a 286 PC must have in order to
>run xenix 286?  will things run at all with 640k or 1M?

I cannot speak to 640 although I suspect the answer is no.  My
ATT 6310 (AT clone) runs fine with only one meg and a fast disk.
Things might not be so pleasant with a very slow disk.

>what amounts of swap space can be specified?

The installation program calculates a "reasonable" value based on
your disk size.  If you don't agree, you can override this.

>is it worth $595 ??  what about Microport?

Depends. If you are an individual and just want to play with a **IX
style system on a PC, probably not. If you've got a package that runs
under **IX and you want a reliable host environment, yes.

You can get a better price if you shop around a bit. But remember, this
is the price for the run-time system. This does not include compilers
and related tools nor does it include *roff and related items.

From reading this newsgroup for about a year, I get the impression that
SCO Xenix is the choice for reliable, commercial products. Microport is
for hackers.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/11/88)

In article <1826@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> what is the minimum amount of memory a 286 PC must have in order to
> run xenix 286?  will things run at all with 640k or 1M?

The more the better.  1mb would be tight but possible.  1.5, 2 or 3mb
is better.

> does xenix 286 run in protected mode all the time?

Yes.  Everything runs in protected mode (once you get beyond the boot.)

> what amounts of swap space can be specified?

You will be prompted for this.  A suggestion is made based on your
disk and memory size.

> what is the swap block size -- is this configurable, too?

Huh?

> is it worth $595 ??  what about Microport?

XENIX 286 is a great 286 port; it's robust and well supported.  You
should remember that $595 only gets you the runtime system; a full
blown system with development tools and text processing runs about
$1200, but SCO offers developers discounts if you make that clear
when you order it.

However, Steve, a 286 is really only suitable for endusers running
canned programs (and presumably developers who cater to them.)
For example, I know lots of folks using XENIX 286 machines running
WP and data base systems who would never touch a C compiler: they
are as happy as clams.  It's hell for anyone used to large-address-space
machines.  Get a 386 system and run some flavor of UNIX on it, whether
it be XENIX 386, Bell Tech UNIX or ISC's 386/ix.  I'm partial to XENIX 386,
since I have the most experience with it, but the others are OK, too.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (09/12/88)

In article <1826@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> what is the minimum amount of memory a 286 PC must have in order to
> run xenix 286?  will things run at all with 640k or 1M?

Ok.  Believe it or not, i was able to run Xenix 286 (2.1.3) in 512K of memory
(the start-up diagnostics seemed to think that there was actually 640K present
for some reason, perhaps the setup was wrong, but in any event, it was not >
640K).  It worked, but one had to be a little wary of certain operations.  It
was pretty slow and if you tried a compressed news feed, some of the rnews
programs would run for 5 to 10 DAYS!!!
Obviously, it ran (i could vi and compile programs, etc., all slowly), but it
is not a desirable state of affairs.  (i have had the system upgraded to 2.5M
since then, thank-yew)

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (09/14/88)

In article <1826@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> what is the minimum amount of memory a 286 PC must have in order to
> run xenix 286?  will things run at all with 640k or 1M?

Yes, the system will run with 1 meg (I think it will even run with 512K, but
don't even try that).  If you are running multi-user you will probably want
more memory.

> does xenix 286 run in protected mode all the time?

Yes.

> what amounts of swap space can be specified?

It depends on the size of the hard disk.  When installing Xenix you are
prompted for swap space size.  It will allow numbers within a specified
range, which is determined by your disk space.  If you start playing
with the divvy program you can configure whatever you want.

> what is the swap block size -- is this configurable, too?

					^^^^^ no

> is it worth $595 ??  what about Microport?

If you are going to be doing any multi-user at all, (more than 2 terminals)
the price is almost the same as Microport. Microport sells a 1 or 2 user
license for $ 150 , and if you want more than that you should buy an
upgrade license, the cost I don't know.  The $ 595 for Xenix is essentially
an unlimited user license ( I know, it is really a 16 user license, but no
286 system should be forced to support 16 users).

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.