[comp.unix.xenix] XENIX 2.2 vs. VGA

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (09/13/88)

I recently installed a VGA (ATI VIP board) in a system which had an
EGA (BOCA) in it.  It is/was running SCO XENIX 286 2.2 and it won't
boot with the VGA card in it.  Is there anything I can do to resolve
this problem without going back to the EGA or upgrading my XENIX?

This is a joint DOS/XENIX system, and I need the VGA for DOS...
--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
Applications Programmer, CompuServe	      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (09/15/88)

In article <21670@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) writes:

> I recently installed a VGA (ATI VIP board) in a system which had an
> EGA (BOCA) in it.  It is/was running SCO XENIX 286 2.2 and it won't
> boot with the VGA card in it.  Is there anything I can do to resolve
> this problem without going back to the EGA or upgrading my XENIX?

SCO Xenix 2.2.3 provides BOOT LEVEL VGA support, that is, it will boot
		on a Compaq/Paradise compatible VGA card and run in
		EGA mode. No VGA specific modes are supported. You may
		be able to get an update to this release from SCO.
SCO Xenix 2.3.X provides boot and native graphics VGA support. From
		Xenix, you can use screen(HW) ioctl()'s to put the
		adapter in VGA graphics modes. Not sure about VP/ix
		since I don't have it.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim