[net.news.group] Orphaned Response

berry@zehntel.UUCP (12/14/83)

#R:astrovax:-14200:zinfandel:8900003:177600:137
zinfandel!berry    Nov 28 13:45:00 1983

Why don't ypu post summaries or abstracts of IAU bulletins?

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

linda@inmet.UUCP (07/13/84)

#R:alice:-288600:inmet:7000067:177600:1
inmet!linda    Jul 11 13:30:00 1984

tower@inmet.UUCP (10/08/84)

Re: net.cae or net.cim

Try net.works (for WorkStation discussions).
If the creation of new groups proves necessary,
I suggest net.works.cae or net.works.cim .

-len tower		UUCP:     {ihnp4,harpo}!inmet!tower
 Intermetrics, Inc.	INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
 733 Concord Ave.
 Cambridge, MA  02138	(617) 661-1840
 U.S.A.

spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (Steve Wall) (10/14/84)

> From rochester!seismo!harvard!godot!ima!inmet!tower Mon Oct  8 00:47:05 1984
> From: tower@inmet.UUCP
> Newsgroups: net.news.group
> Subject: Re: Orphaned Response
> Date: Mon, 8-Oct-84 00:47:05 EDT
> Nf-ID: #R:turtlevax:-53900:inmet:7000068:177600:332
> Nf-From: inmet!tower    Oct  6 09:08:00 1984
>
> Re: net.cae or net.cim
>
> Try net.works (for WorkStation discussions).
> If the creation of new groups proves necessary,
> I suggest net.works.cae or net.works.cim .
>
> -len tower		UUCP:     {ihnp4,harpo}!inmet!tower
> Intermetrics, Inc.	INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
> 733 Concord Ave.
> Cambridge, MA  02138	(617) 661-1840
> U.S.A.

Awful long article for not having any lines.  Anyone know why?

					Steve Wall
					...!ritcv!ritvp!spw256

tower@inmet.UUCP (11/25/84)

Subject: Sup-optimal interactions with ARAPNET Unix lists.

Re: net.news.group / amdahl!gam / 12:46 am  Nov 17, 1984
>    net.unix.shells   - discussion of csh/sh/ksh, other shells, new shells
>    net.unix.kernel   - discussion of the kernel calls in section 2
>    net.unix.clib     - discussion of C library routines of section 3
>    net.unix-wizards.kernel - kernel esoterica
>    net.unix-wizards.drivers - device drivers problems/operations
>
>    net.unix would be left for discussions of unix tools (grep, awk, etc).
>    Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

These two groups are bi-directionally gated into two ARPANET lists.
	net.unix	 <==> INFO-UNIX@BRL
	net.unix-wizards <==> UNIX-WIZARDS@BRL

Though it would be possible to funnel from the many proposed net.unix.*
and net.unix-wizards.* groups into the corresponding ARPA list, the
reverse expansion of postings from an ARPA list into many proposed
net.unix[-wizards].* groups is a bit beyond the state of the art (the
curious can look at the net.micro and net.micro.* groups to see the
effect).

The bottom line here is that you will only get some of the partitioning
desired. One will still have to read the base group to catch responses
from the ARPA side of the gate.

There is a high amount of ARPA traffic in the two present net.unix*
groups, and its of high (useful) quality.

In light of this, is a partial partitioning really wanted?
If it is, be careful to coordinate it with BRL!

Subject: better net.unix.* name and use

Re: net.news.group / amdahl!gam / 12:46 am  Nov 17, 1984
>    net.unix.shells   - discussion of csh/sh/ksh, other shells, new shells
>    net.unix.kernel   - discussion of the kernel calls in section 2
>    net.unix.clib     - discussion of C library routines of section 3
>    net.unix-wizards.kernel - kernel esoterica
>    net.unix-wizards.drivers - device drivers problems/operations
>
>    net.unix would be left for discussions of unix tools (grep, awk, etc).
>    Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

1) I dislike two sub-groups ending in *.kernel.
How about
    net.unix.syscalls instead of net.unix.kernels ?
This name also better reflects the user's perspective.

2) I suspect that net.unix will be used for wider discussion of Unix
than non-command_processor tools, including discussion of the different
versions of Unix, and the O/S's history.

I also expect that net.unix-wizards will continue to see use
on topics like accounting, security, and administration.

----------

tower@inmet.UUCP (11/25/84)

Subject: net.unix* split: Sup-optimal interactions with notes

Re: net.news.group / amdahl!gam / 12:46 am  Nov 17, 1984
>    net.unix.shells   - discussion of csh/sh/ksh, other shells, new shells
>    net.unix.kernel   - discussion of the kernel calls in section 2
>    net.unix.clib     - discussion of C library routines of section 3
>    net.unix-wizards.kernel - kernel esoterica
>    net.unix-wizards.drivers - device drivers problems/operations
>    Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!gam

Many (all?) implementations of the notesfile software require all
news group names to be no longer than 14 characters.

The proposed additional sub groups of net.unix-wizards will all be
over 14 characters in length.

The net effect of this is that the partitioning desired will not occur
for the 20% of USENET that uses the notesfile software.

One suggestion for 14 character significant naming is:
    net.unix.shells   - discussion of csh/sh/ksh, other shells, new shells
    net.unix.syscalls - discussion of the kernel calls in section 2
    net.unix.clib     - discussion of C library routines of section 3
    net.unix.kernel   - kernel esoterica
    net.unix.drivers  - device drivers problems/operations

net.unix-wizards could also be renamed with a shorter name.

A new sub-group net.unix-int (discussion of unix internals) could be
formed, with net.unix-int.kernel and net.unix-int.drivers.

Other suggestions?

FLAME RETARDANT ATTEMPT
----- --------- -------

Yes, the notes software could be modified.

Even if it was, many notesfile sites would take a long time to convert,
and many never will (look at how many news sites have not installed
2.10.2 (not to mention 2.10.1 ... 2.10 ... ) ).

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/27/84)

> Many (all?) implementations of the notesfile software require all
> news group names to be no longer than 14 characters.
> Yes, the notes software could be modified.

> Even if it was, many notesfile sites would take a long time to convert,
> and many never will (look at how many news sites have not installed
> 2.10.2 (not to mention 2.10.1 ... 2.10 ... ) ).

Well, "net.religion.{jewish,christian}" already exist; there was some
debate about the 14-character limit when "net.religion.jewish" was created,
but the consensus was "tough luck".  There are other problems with the
original "notes", which have been cleared up, I believe, by Tim(?) Cook
of HP's version.

There are limits to the degree to which one should remain backward-compatible
with old versions of software; eventually, the old must give way to make
room for the new.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Cheshire Chuqui) (12/05/84)

References <1830@inmet.UUCP> <900002@uokmet.UUCP>

>Subject: net.unix* split: Sup-optimal interactions with notes and UNIX
>
>>    net.unix-wizards.kernel - kernel esoterica
>>    net.unix-wizards.drivers - device drivers problems/operations
>>
>>    Many (all?) implementations of the notesfile software require all
>>    news group names to be no longer than 14 characters.
>>
>>    FLAME RETARDANT ATTEMPT
>>    ----- --------- -------
>>
>>    Yes, the notes software could be modified.
>
>The maximum length permitted for a file name on 2.8 and 2.9 BSD is
>14 characters.
>
>The idea of various sub "net.unix" groups is a good idea though...

One major factor in the design of new releases of software is compatibility
with previous releases, simply because it is hard to get people to upgrade.
As time goes on, this seems to be creating more and more problems for the
people who ARE willing to upgrade as well as putting rather
arbitrary/historical restrictions. Perhaps it is time for us to make a
decision to be willing to make non-compatible upgrades and either figuring
out some way of converting to old sites or simply cutting them off if they
won't upgrade.

It WOULD be nice to get rid of all of those sites running ugly notes (the
ones that ignore things like standards), A news, and anything before about
2.10.1, but the only way I see us doing it is by giving those sites the
choice of either upgrading or getting out. Politically, this is a very
sensitive/painful decision either way-- we either rip up the net with new
software, or we take the chance of crippling it with old software.

I'm not sure I want to touch this one... comments?

chuq
--
From the center of a Plaid pentagram:		Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  ~But you know, monsieur, that as long as she wears the claw of the dragon
  upon her breast you can do nothing-- her soul belongs to me!~

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (12/10/84)

I think if you are going to cut off sites for not having the latest news
software, you shouldn't cut off on basis of not having the latest version,
but whether or not that version has bugs which are causing the rest of the
net problems.  For example, we're running 2.10 (at least, until 2.10.2 is
installed, which won't be long) and I haven't heard of any problems with
our software.  If our software works just as well as everyone else's (irre-
gardless of whether or not they are running newer software than us) I see no
reason why we should get cut off from the net.
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

kwthomas@uokmet.UUCP (kwthomas) (01/04/85)

Subject: net.unix* split: Sup-optimal interactions with notes and UNIX

>    net.unix-wizards.kernel - kernel esoterica
>    net.unix-wizards.drivers - device drivers problems/operations
>
>    Many (all?) implementations of the notesfile software require all
>    news group names to be no longer than 14 characters.
>
>    FLAME RETARDANT ATTEMPT
>    ----- --------- -------
>
>    Yes, the notes software could be modified.

The maximum length permitted for a file name on 2.8 and 2.9 BSD is
14 characters.

The idea of various sub "net.unix" groups is a good idea though...

	Kevin W. Thomas
	University of Oklahoma
	School of Meteorology
	Norman, OK  73019

UUCP: ...!ctvax!uokvax!uokmet!kwthomas

tower@inmet.UUCP (03/07/85)

Re: net.xinu

I would suggest either:

net.unix.xinu
	OR
net.os.xinu (of course, net.os would have to be created!)

as better titles.

-len tower	    UUCP:     {ihnp4,harpo}!inmet!tower
 Intermetrics, Inc. INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
		    USPS:     733 Concord Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA
		    PHONE:    (617) 661-1840

tower@inmet.UUCP (03/17/85)

I would suspect that net.unix or net.arch would be good places.
USENET doesn't have a net.os.

RMS has a ARPANET mailing list on MIT-MC.ARPA:
	INFO-GNU@MIT-MC.ARPA
Try:
	INFO-GNU-REQUEST@MIT-MC.ARPA
to join it, through your neighborhood UUCP/ARPA mail gateway.

Yours,

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (08/27/85)

In article <16@ucdavis.UUCP>, ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) writes:
>> net.games is at times an exercise in frustration - ...  There is soooo
>> much computer game oriented traffic, though, that it's a hassle even to
>> read the group let alone post to it!

> I think that splitting net.games into two groups is the right idea.  Then,
> net.games should be retired as it will no longer serve a purpose.
>
> I would hope that all of you out there will also send some sort of support to
> net.news.group too, so that our moderators might take notice.

	You don't need to create a group until it generates a bunch of traffic
	in an upper level discussion group.

	You are complaining about "annoying net traffic" about computer games.
	Hack, Rogue and Empire all have their oun groups.  What types of
	computer games are you refering to?  The only kind I can think of are
	the Zork/Adventure/"take shoe" games.

	The time is right for a new group for these types of games.  They
	certainly generate enough annoying net traffic  B-).  The real question
	is what it get called?  We need to chose something that can be clearly
	seen by novices as the proper place to post articles of this type, and
	it must representative of the proposed postings.

	Much as I like "net.games.take_shoe" may I suggest net.games.zork,
	net.games.adv or net.games.text?  This way the traffic that is so
	bothersome to you will be shunted to a subgroup, and net.games will
	remain a general group.
--
	Bob Simpson
ORG	Plus Five Computer Services

UUCP	..!{ihnp4,cbosgd,seismo}!plus5!bob

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (10/27/85)

	So...what happens if you do something like this:

	% ln /notes/mod.laser-lovers /notes/fa.laser-lovers

	(or whatever the exact syntax is)

The idea being that since the notes are kept merely as a set of files
each with a number indicating it's ''unique'' message id on the local
system, you could have the 'old dogs' reading the fa.* groups, and the
new people coming onto the system reading the mod.* groups.

	This would also allow a very smooth transition, because you
could keep the directory links for infinite time without ANY overhead
at all (except perhaps a single inode).

	What would this do to the notes / readnews systems??

	Also, how hard is it to have a 'translation' table on the
gateway of a machine:

	other
	machines	---->      translation 	   ---->	local
	in the	        <----	      table        <----	machine
	world

so that entries like "translate fa.sun-spots to mod.comp.sun" would
work both incoming and outgoing.  (note that this would also allow
systems with greater than 16 (!!) character filenames to have
MNEMONIC names instead of CRYPTIC names.  They'd just pity their
neighbours..)

	This is perhaps what was refered to as the 'alias' table??

				Leaping into the fray!

					-- Dave Taylor
					Hewlett Packard, CNO

					...ihnp4!hpfcla!d_taylor
				     or ...hplabs!hpcnou!dat

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (10/27/85)

	Not to join the crowd, but I too would like to see a group (MODERATED,
PLEASE) that had documentation and users guides for the more common software
found on Unix systems.

	As far as the 'net.unix' covers the topic discussion, I'm afraid
that you're dreaming of a utopian net (hey!  net.utopia!  YANG!!) which
just ain't here...

	Also, I've written all too many documents for people here in
HP (nroff users guides, mail users guides, and on and on) and it's a
real pity that I can't get them distributed where people can READ
them and FIND GOOD USE for them (like lining their birdcage :-).

	All that being as it is, I'd be willing to contribute to the
group, but I don't want to moderate it (besides, we have a volunteer
*evil laugh* already...hehehe)

					-- Dave Taylor

stahs@infbs.UUCP (12/13/85)

/***** infbs:net.news.group / creare!gda /  4:06 am  Oct 16, 1985*/

	I vote for net.doc .  The first item I would like to see is a Guide
	to Unix Documentation.  The most frustrating thing about looking for
	something in the Unix Programmers Guide is you usually have to know
	its *name* in order to find it. The second most frustrating thing is
	that there are no *examples* which make usage clear (how about an
	Examples Manual?). The third worst thing is that not all of the
	pointers (SEE ALSO) that should be there *are* there.

	And how about some more clever program than "man" to help
	find things ??

			Gray Abbott
			Creare Inc.
			Hanover, NH
			{...dartvax!creare!gda}
/* ---------- */

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (01/07/86)

Well, here are the results--the last vote came in shortly after the
winter solstice.  Admittedly, Christmastime is not the world's best time
for a survey, but that's when the brouhaha appeared, so...

Here's the summary of the votes received, with some breaking down within
large classifications:

TOTAL VOTES	-- 33

YES		-- 27
	unqualified yes						22
	yes, but prefer an unmoderated group			 4
	yes, get that @#$!@#! out of my newsgroup		 1

NO		--  3
	want unmoderated group instead				 1
	think net.micro.6809 is sufficient			 1
	don't think there's enough traffic to warrant it	 1
		(let it stay in {net, mod}.os until then)

UNCERTAIN	--  1
	said "why not unmoderated," but didn't give yes/no vote	 1

CONDITIONAL	--  2
	iff the mod.os.* go through				 1
	iff 6809 traffic can be separated from 68k traffic	 1

The above counts none of the prior mail I have received on the subject,
which is as it should be.  There you have it, sports fans; these numbers
are in the hands of the folks in whose hands such things are put as well
as posted here, so my job (well, this one anyway) is done.

						James Jones

4580EV9@ (EV9@) (03/19/86)

(* *)
while it's true that net.tv exists for the purpose of discussing
various tv shows, please keep in mind that there is a startrek and
dr.who group... if nothing really results from our endeavor (...and
i think we all know how painful that can be!...), the true "Lettermaniacs"
(thank you for the term--never heard that one before) will probably
settle for a mail-group, or simply keep all dave references to net.tv,
as per your suggestion... 'til then--can you blame a guy for trying?...

("He's one of those corporate weasels, isn't he...?")
-------

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                                                      ::
::                adam  christopher  benick             ::
::                                                      ::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::          home            ::         school           ::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                          ::                          ::
::  818  west  coal  street ::    61   river  street    ::
::  trevorton, pennsylvania ::  cressona, pennsylvania  ::
::         17881            ::          17972           ::
::                          ::                          ::
::    (717) 797 - 1689      ::    (717) 385 - 2867      ::
::                          ::                          ::

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (06/30/86)

The discussion of news vs. notes, outstanding bugs in both, and other
matters germane thereto, has been moved out of net.news.group and into
net.news, on the well-taken point of Dr. Weemba.

My response to Terry Poot <tp@ndm20> can be found in net.news under the
subject "News, Notes, and Reality".

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA