[comp.unix.xenix] accessing 2nd partition of dos hard drive

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (09/11/88)

Does anyone know if it's possible to address the second dos
partition of the hard drive using the dos utilities? i.e. dosls, dosdir,
dosrm, doscat, etc.  I have installed a larger drive since purchasing
xenix, and I partitioned it as below:
dos c: 2 meg
dos d: 57 meg
xenix: 98 meg
As it is, I can only read the dos c: partition which has only my system
files.  The dos d: partition has all the good stuff and I haven't figured
out how to access it (if possible) using the xenix dos utilities.
I used SpeedStor to do the partitioning.

Thanks,
Roger Cornelius
--
                +---------- Roger Cornelius -----------+
                |            (813)347-4399             |

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (09/12/88)

In article <461@jc3b21.UUCP> rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
>Does anyone know if it's possible to address the second dos
>partition of the hard drive using the dos utilities? i.e. dosls, dosdir,
>dosrm, doscat, etc.

The device files /dev/hd01, /dev/hd02, /dev/hd03, and /dev/hd04 can
be used to access the four absolute partitions on your first hard
disk.  There are also /dev/hd11, /dev/hd12, etc. for the second hard
disk as well.  See the hd(HW) manual entry for a description of all
the device files available to access the disks.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
uunet!sco!rosso

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (09/14/88)

<
< The device files /dev/hd01, /dev/hd02, /dev/hd03, and /dev/hd04 can
< be used to access the four absolute partitions on your first hard
< disk.  There are also /dev/hd11, /dev/hd12, etc. for the second hard
< disk as well.  See the hd(HW) manual entry for a description of all
< the device files available to access the disks.

I just tried this after reading your response, and I can read the files
on the first dos partition with "dosdir /dev/hd01", but "dosdir /dev/hd02"
returns "dosdir: FAT not recognizable on /dev/hd02".  All the other devices
(/dev/hd0[034a]) return "dosdir: bad media byte on /dev/hd0[034a]".  I used
SpeedStor to do the partitioning.  Could that be the problem?  Needless to
say, I can access both partitions fine when running under dos.  Only one
hard drive is installed in my system.

Thanks again,
Roger Cornelius
--

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (09/15/88)

In article <463@jc3b21.UUCP>, rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
. In article <859@viscous>, rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) writes:
. < In article <461@jc3b21.UUCP> rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
. < >Does anyone know if it's possible to address the second dos
. < >partition of the hard drive using the dos utilities? i.e. dosls, dosdir,
. < >dosrm, doscat, etc.
. <
.
. I just tried this after reading your response, and I can read the files
. on the first dos partition with "dosdir /dev/hd01", but "dosdir /dev/hd02"
. returns "dosdir: FAT not recognizable on /dev/hd02".  All the other devices
. (/dev/hd0[034a]) return "dosdir: bad media byte on /dev/hd0[034a]".  I used
. SpeedStor to do the partitioning.  Could that be the problem?  Needless to
  ^^^^^^^^^
Xenix only knows about standard dos partitions.  Speedstor does funny things
in order to do its thing, therefore Xenix cannot read the Speedstor partitions

Jonathan Bayer

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (09/17/88)

From article <183@ispi.UUCP>, by jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet):
< In article <463@jc3b21.UUCP>, rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
< . In article <859@viscous>, rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) writes:
< . < In article <461@jc3b21.UUCP> rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
< . < >Does anyone know if it's possible to address the second dos
< . < >partition of the hard drive using the dos utilities? i.e. dosls, dosdir,
< . < >dosrm, doscat, etc.
< . <
< . < The device files /dev/hd01, /dev/hd02, /dev/hd03, and /dev/hd04 can
< . < be used to access the four absolute partitions on your first hard
< .
< . I just tried this after reading your response, and I can read the files
< . on the first dos partition with "dosdir /dev/hd01", but "dosdir /dev/hd02"
< . returns "dosdir: FAT not recognizable on /dev/hd02".  All the other devices
< . (/dev/hd0[034a]) return "dosdir: bad media byte on /dev/hd0[034a]".  I used
< . SpeedStor to do the partitioning.  Could that be the problem?  Needless to
< Xenix only knows about standard dos partitions.  Speedstor does funny things
< in order to do its thing, therefore Xenix cannot read the Speedstor partitions

After playing around with Speedstor's "parted" partition editor, I
discovered the problem.  I had two dos partitions (a 2 meg boot partition,
and a 57 meg "Extended dos" partition).  After I re-partitioned with two
"Compatible dos" (32 meg or less) partitions, I can read both fine from
xenix.

Roger Cornelius