[comp.unix.xenix] Excelan Support!

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (09/16/88)

Well, Excelan is back to their old tricks again! It was bad enough waiting
until they finally released their Xenix 386 version but now, their 386
version DOES NOT WORK properly under the new release, 2.3.0. After MANY
telephone calls to Excelan, I was "promised" a "fix" for their present
release; however, today at 4PM, they called me back and told me that they
WILL NOT send the fix! The reason that was given was that "they were afraid
that it may have bugs in it".

If you are using the new release of Xenix and install the Excelan distribution,
the following problems WILL occur:

1) smtp will not install
2) rsh will not connect and will finally cause a double panic!
3) you will run out of multi-screen memory after the 8th one!

The following function do seem to work:
1) ftp
2) telnet
3) rlogin

I was told that the "new" release will be available sometime in October. If
they follow their previous sequence of promises ( the initial release of
the Xenix 386 version ), I suspect that October means February or so!

BTW, here is one for the books: I was told by Excelan that SCO has a fix
for the software. My response was why SCO?  No answer was given that made
sense.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (09/18/88)

From article <1885@turnkey.TCC.COM>, by sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz):
> Well, Excelan is back to their old tricks again! It was bad enough waiting
> BTW, here is one for the books: I was told by Excelan that SCO has a fix
> for the software. My response was why SCO?  No answer was given that made
> sense.
>
> Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

 Funny, SCO told me to get it from Excelan, looks like recursion to me :-)

 I have had absolutely no luck getting any answers on anything from Excelan
 customer support, we are now looking for alternate sources for our ethernet
 needs.

 In the meantime if anyone finds a way of getting our Excelan boards working
 with V2.3, let us know.
--
Jim Morris.         			 morris@dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!morris
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (09/19/88)

In article <1885@turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>Well, Excelan is back to their old tricks again! It was bad enough waiting
>until they finally released their Xenix 386 version but now, their 386

I have been most unimpressed with Excelan's sales department. Is there
any reasonable alternative to Excelan's product out there?

--
Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego

When you die, if you've been very, very good, you'll go to ... Montana.