[comp.unix.xenix] Kermit on SCO Xenix

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (09/19/88)

HI!  I've got a copy of the sources for Kermit (CKUKER 4C(057), July 26,
195) and I'm trying to compile it under SCO Xenix 2.2.  I managed to
compile it on our AT&T 3B2 UNIX after a few small hacks.

The main problem seems to be that it (Kermit) is looking for a library
called Llibc_s.a (judging by the -lc_s flag in the Makefile).  I can
find no reference to this library anywhere in my Xenix DS.  I had
exactly the same problem with the UNIX V.3 on the 3B2.  I fixed it
there by simply doing a ln /lib/libc.a /lib/libc_s.a, but the same
trick didn't work under SCO Xenix.  Can someone give me a hint?  Please?

--
Paul Gillingwater  UUCP: {alberta,ubc-vision}!calgary!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul
Computer Sciences New Zealand Ltd.   	ACSnet: paul@csnz.co.nz

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (09/22/88)

In article <63@csnz.nz> paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:

>The main problem seems to be that it (Kermit) is looking for a library
>called Llibc_s.a (judging by the -lc_s flag in the Makefile).  I can
>find no reference to this library anywhere in my Xenix DS.  I had
>exactly the same problem with the UNIX V.3 on the 3B2.  I fixed it
>there by simply doing a ln /lib/libc.a /lib/libc_s.a, but the same
>trick didn't work under SCO Xenix.  Can someone give me a hint?  Please?

Requesting -lc_s is the way you link to the SysVr3 shared library.  It
should have work on the 3B2 if your compiler is current (release 4.0 or
later ??).  This may be different under Xenix.  In any case, only the
standard functions are included so you can just deleted the -lc_s and
link with the unshared library.

Les Mikesell

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (09/22/88)

In article <63@csnz.nz>, paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> The main problem seems to be that it (Kermit) is looking for a library
> called Llibc_s.a (judging by the -lc_s flag in the Makefile).  I can
> find no reference to this library anywhere in my Xenix DS.  I had

the file libc_s is the SHARED C library, available on Unix V.3 systems.
Xenix 2.2 does not provide shared library linking, and as far as I know,
and from looking at the 2.3 beta development system, Xenix 2.3 will provide
V.3 RUNTIME shared libary support but not DEVELOPMENT LINKING shared
libary support. Anyways, just change it to -lc or leave it out, since it
will look for the regular C library by default.

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim