[comp.unix.xenix] Some of this, some of that

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (09/26/88)

I have just added an Irwin 10MB tape drive to my system, only to realize
while running SETUP [ yes, I ran Messy-DOS.  I'm so ashamed ... ] that
the tape was being configured as my second floppy disk.  Trouble is, I
want to add a second floppy drive as well.

What can I do to get around this?  Does the floppy controller support
more than two devices?  What about more than two floppy controllers?
And would Xenix support that?

The only alternative is to buy a non-floppy controlled tape.  Which is
a lousey idea because the Irwin was free ...
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias

rap@olivej.olivetti.com (Robert A. Pease) (09/28/88)

In article <7119@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>I have just added an Irwin 10MB tape drive to my system, only to realize
>while running SETUP [ yes, I ran Messy-DOS.  I'm so ashamed ... ] that
>the tape was being configured as my second floppy disk.  Trouble is, I
>want to add a second floppy drive as well.
>
>What can I do to get around this?
>--
>John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

What I have done with Irwin tape drives is to put  a  switch
on  the Irwin and floppy select jumper lines.  The switch in
one position will select the floppy and in the other it will
select  the tape drive.  It worked nicely.  Now all you have
to do is figure how to plug three drives into a  data  cable
made for two :-).

					Robert A. Pease
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|glacier|olhqma}!oliveb!olivej!rap