[comp.unix.xenix] SCRATCH FILE

dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) (09/25/88)

How can I get Xenix 386 which has 2 hard disks running, with two
filesystems besides root  - u and u1 (u1 being the only one on the
second hard drive) to automatically get past the prompt for a
SCRATCHFILE name when it goes through an autoreboot after an improper
shutdown?
With one disk and only /u for a second filesystem (maybe it would do
the same thing if I had three filesystems even with one hard drive)
and my online bbs crashes from some outside factor, it will recover
by autorebooting and goes all the way through fsck by itself, going
eventually back online. But with /u1 added, it goes through fsck on
the first disk ( and root and /u) but then halts on /u1 awaiting
manual entry of a scratchfile name, whereupon it proceeds just fine.
  Any way to get it to generate its own needed scratchfile name
automatically, so it doesn't stop in mid the night or on weekends
and not recover all by its lonesome?
  Oh yes, SCO Xenix 386 2.2
I am at hplabs!well!dave, or if you think this is a general question,
put it here where we can all display our collective wisdom (or ignorance,
as in my case)
dave

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (09/26/88)

From article <7188@well.UUCP>, by dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes):

> How can I get Xenix 386 which has 2 hard disks running, with two
> filesystems besides root  - u and u1 (u1 being the only one on the
> second hard drive) to automatically get past the prompt for a
> SCRATCHFILE name when it goes through an autoreboot after an improper
> shutdown?

How about changing the appropriate entry in /etc/default/filesys to add
something like "-t /tmp/scratch"?

--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870

neese@cpe.UUCP (09/26/88)

There is an option you can add to the /etc/default/filesys line.  The option
is 'fsckflags'.  It should look something like:

bdev=/dev/u cdev=/dev/ru mountdir=/u \
desc="The u filesystem" rcmount=yes fsckflags="-t /tmp/a000 -y"

This will tell fsck the options to use during autoboot.

					Roy Neese
					Tandy Computer Product Engineering
					UUCP@ killer!ninja!cpe!neese

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (09/26/88)

In article <7188@well.UUCP>, dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

> How can I get Xenix 386 which has 2 hard disks running, with two
> filesystems besides root  - u and u1 (u1 being the only one on the
> second hard drive) to automatically get past the prompt for a
> SCRATCHFILE name when it goes through an autoreboot after an improper
> shutdown?
> With one disk and only /u for a second filesystem (maybe it would do
> the same thing if I had three filesystems even with one hard drive)
> and my online bbs crashes from some outside factor, it will recover
> by autorebooting and goes all the way through fsck by itself, going
> eventually back online. But with /u1 added, it goes through fsck on
> the first disk ( and root and /u) but then halts on /u1 awaiting
> manual entry of a scratchfile name, whereupon it proceeds just fine.
>   Oh yes, SCO Xenix 386 2.2

Move the file /bin/fsck to another name such as Fsck, and create a short
script called /bin/fsck.  Put the following command in the script:

fsck -t/dev/scratch $1 $2

The -t/dev/scratch specifies the scratch file.

Jonathan Bayere
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

larry@turnkey.TCC.COM (Larry Dighera) (09/30/88)

In article <88@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
>How about changing the appropriate entry in /etc/default/filesys to add
>something like "-t /tmp/scratch"?

I found that using this technique caused the sysadmsh program to become
confused by the added fields in /etc/default/filesys when attempting
to perform a backup.  The doucmentation dosen't seem to cover this
very well.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)