[comp.unix.xenix] wanted: mkdev mod to support 1.44 Mb floppy drive

dorn@fabscal.UUCP (Alan Dorn Hetzel) (09/28/88)

I am looking for a mod to XENIX mkdev to support creation of filesystems
on 1.44 Mb floppies...   Any help would be appreciated.

Please reply via mail to gatech.edu!fabscal!dorn

Dorn

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (09/30/88)

In article <394@fabscal.UUCP>, dorn@fabscal.UUCP (Alan Dorn Hetzel) writes:
> I am looking for a mod to XENIX mkdev to support creation of filesystems
> on 1.44 Mb floppies...   Any help would be appreciated.

As of Xenix 2.2.2, (I think), if you run "mkdev fd" it will prompt
you for 48tpi/9sect, 96tpi/15sect, or 135tpi/9sect. The 3.5" floppy
devices, for double density mode (720K) are the same as 96tpi/9sect,
in other words /dev/fd096ds9 is the same as /dev/fd0135ds9. Since the
3.5" drives can be plugged into the same cable the 5.25" drive is on,
they really are plug compatible. You will have to use /etc/default/tar
settings of blocking=18, size=720 though. What I'd like to know is if
anyone has successfully used 1.44 meg (DS/HD) 3.5" floppies under
Xenix. Either my drive is only rated for 720K, and/or the Xenix driver
can't handle 1.44 meg yet. I did notice that SCO is only using 720K
floppies for their distribution (for 2.2.X anyways) so that may say
something...

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim