[comp.unix.xenix] restore and backup

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (09/29/88)

HELP!

We have a client with a SCO Xenix system running on a 70 Mb hard disk.
It is Xenix 2.2.x, and it has been running smoothly for over a year,
with a tape streamer and 8-port serial card.

Last week they had a hard disk crash.  The disk is completely dead.
The hardware supplier (Olivetti - it's an M28) replaced the hard disk
with a brand new one.

Regular (daily) backups have been taken, using the backup option through
the sysadmsh menus.  Now we're having a lot of trouble restoring, and
we need some assistance.

The restore command, when used to try to restore the entire file system,
(via the sysadmsh), comes up with the error message:

Out of space (or similar wording).

What is happening?   Why can't it read the backup tapes?  Does this mean
that we should avoid the backup/restore commands in future, and stick to
tar or cpio?  The local supplier for SCO Xenix has no clues...  so I'm
throwing this question open to the USEnet community - surely someone,
somewhere has done this.

Please respond urgently.  Our user's data is at stake!

--
Paul Gillingwater --> Path: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul
Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd.  	Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (10/01/88)

In article <70@csnz.nz>, paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> Last week they had a hard disk crash.  The disk is completely dead.
> The hardware supplier (Olivetti - it's an M28) replaced the hard disk
> with a brand new one.
>
> The restore command, when used to try to restore the entire file system,
> (via the sysadmsh), comes up with the error message:
> Out of space (or similar wording).

My initial guess is that you are trying to restore to a filesystem that
is smaller than the one from which your backups were created.

You might try going into divvy to make your partition slightly larger
and see what happens.  In any case, it's a good habit to write
down what your disk partitions tables are just in case the disk
has to be re-formatted.

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob