[comp.unix.xenix] pcomm1.1 patchlevel 3 on sco xenix

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/02/88)

I have the posted sources to pcomm v1.1, plus the three posted patches,
plus the J.Bayer slow-down-characters-to-modem patch and re-open-line-
after-it-had-been-opened-with-modem-control patch...

I'm using a SCO Xenix 2.2.1 system (80286) with the 2.2.1 development
system, and I've gone so far as to locate every "different levels of
indirection" warning (all were misuses of NULL) and cast them correctly,
and add "-F 4000" to get a significant stack... but though the build
goes without a peep from the compiler or linker, the first thing it does
when I execute it is memory fault.

I'm using the terminfo instead of curses, and I have -DM_TERMINFO in the
CFLAGS.

Has anyone gotten pcomm v1.1 to run under Xenix yet?

--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

hudson@vsedev.VSE.COM (C Hudson Hendren III) (10/05/88)

In article <161@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
>I have the posted sources to pcomm v1.1, plus the three posted patches,
>plus the J.Bayer slow-down-characters-to-modem patch and re-open-line-
>after-it-had-been-opened-with-modem-control patch...
>
>I'm using a SCO Xenix 2.2.1 system (80286) with the 2.2.1 development
>system, and I've gone so far as to locate every "different levels of
>indirection" warning (all were misuses of NULL) and cast them correctly,
>and add "-F 4000" to get a significant stack... but though the build
>goes without a peep from the compiler or linker, the first thing it does
>when I execute it is memory fault.
>
>I'm using the terminfo instead of curses, and I have -DM_TERMINFO in the
>CFLAGS.
>
>Has anyone gotten pcomm v1.1 to run under Xenix yet?

I have pcomm running under SCO Xenix 2.2.1 on a 286.  I had the problem of
"different levels of indirection" and repaired them by [temporarily]
changing the include file which contains the definition of NULL to read
(char *)0 instead of 0.  I also had to up the stack.  In order to get the
program to execute I had to use -F 4000 but to KEEP it running, I found that
I needed -F 6000 since stack requirements increase later in the program.

The segmentation violation (memory fault) you are getting is probably
related to patch #2 which has been discussed to death here.  It is critical
that you get the correct if statement in the ports.c file.  To make it work
you must reverse the order of the two tests in the problem statement.

I have not applied any of the patches (because I can't get my hands on the
sources for patch -- anyone willing to email them to me?).  The only change
I made is the if statement correction in ports.c and in addition to some
obvious things in config.h, I found that it is necessary to set
WGETCH_BROKE.  Oh yeah, I had to use TERMINFO to get it to work.  That was
easy but time consuming since I had never gotten around to running tic since
I installed over a year ago.

Good luck.  Send me email if you still can't get it and I'll ship you the
diffs between the version I have running and the distribution version.
--
==> ..!uunet!vsedev!hudson  [hudson@vsedev.vse.com]  (C Hudson Hendren III) <==
==> These are my opinions and are not necessarily those of VSE Corporation. <==

MichaelNC@cup.portal.com (10/05/88)

I have Pcomm 1.1 working sucessfully on SCO Xenix (286).  If anyone would
like a copy of my Makefile and what I did to get it working, just drop
me some email.

michaelnc@cup.portal.com
sun!portal!cup.portal.com!michaelnc