[comp.unix.xenix] arc 5.21 on SCO Xenix

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/03/88)

I built arc 5.21 on a SCO Xenix 2.2.1 (development system 2.2.1) 80286
system, and though there are no complaints at all during the compile and
link, when I run it...

[root]/src/arc521/work:(1 ) % ./arc
./arc./arc: syntax error at line 1: `)' unexpected
: ^Ke]K3@^^PP0~P0^BP^Z*x?^CD^H^Cz^?t3^KB^G^Vr^W#t^W^KRt^E^NZ#^H^NX3@#^\
 HHH#|8: not found
./arc: ##^B0q#: not found
[root]/src/arc521/work:(2 ) %

(line ...@#^\ is cut in half by me for mailing purposes, it actually is
connected as @#^HHH ...)

Has anyone gotten arc 5.21 to work on SCO Xenix?

Thanks
--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/06/88)

In article <162@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
>I built arc 5.21 on a SCO Xenix 2.2.1 (development system 2.2.1) 80286
>system, and though there are no complaints at all during the compile and
>link, when I run it...
>
>[root]/src/arc521/work:(1 ) % ./arc
>./arc./arc: syntax error at line 1: `)' unexpected
>: ^Ke]K3@^^PP0~P0^BP^Z*x?^CD^H^Cz^?t3^KB^G^Vr^W#t^W^KRt^E^NZ#^H^NX3@#^\
> HHH#|8: not found
>./arc: ##^B0q#: not found

There appears to be some bug in the loader that it generates bogus
a.out files from syntactically correct C code.

This is not the first time I have heard of it.  It appears to be limited
to the 80286 compiler and loader, the 80386 system I have has compiled
several troublesome programs for 286 machines which don't have this nasty
property.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias

hoss@ethz.UUCP (Guido Hoss) (10/06/88)

In article <162@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

>I built arc 5.21 on a SCO Xenix 2.2.1 (development system 2.2.1) 80286
>system, and though there are no complaints at all during the compile and
>link, when I run it...

I didn't even manage to compile it without linker and compiler errors.
Could you specify the cc command line switches effective during
compilation? And which model are you using?

Guido Hoss
hoss@ethz.UUCP
{uunet,...}!mcvax!ethz!hoss

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (10/07/88)

In article <7600@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <162@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:
>>I built arc 5.21 on a SCO Xenix 2.2.1 (development system 2.2.1) 80286
>>system, and though there are no complaints at all during the compile and
>>link, when I run it...
>>
>>[root]/src/arc521/work:(1 ) % ./arc
>>./arc./arc: syntax error at line 1: `)' unexpected
>>: ^Ke]K3@^^PP0~P0^BP^Z*x?^CD^H^Cz^?t3^KB^G^Vr^W#t^W^KRt^E^NZ#^H^NX3@#^\
>> HHH#|8: not found
>>./arc: ##^B0q#: not found
>
>There appears to be some bug in the loader that it generates bogus
>a.out files from syntactically correct C code.

It is possible that the loader fails without giving an error message,
causing it to "forget" to turn the linked program into a valid a.out.

I have had the loader fail on correctly compiled programs and this problem may
(or may not) be related. Sometimes in a large program the loader fails to
load some routine from libc (after loading your .o files). I had this with
"signal" for instance. My solution was to extract the trouble-routine
from the library (ar -x /lib/Llibc.a signal.o) and then load it first, so
I said cc -o myprog signal.o myprog.o ...
And that fixed the problems.

Paul.
|Paul De Bra              | I am completely surrounded by giant bugs !    |
|debra@research.att.com   | There's millions of them, all over this code! |
|uunet!research!debra     | Beam me up quickly...Please...                |