[comp.unix.xenix] Dirty Phone Lines

dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) (10/05/88)

How can I deal with a chronic problem of very noisy incoming phone lines
to a system from rural analog phones? Users in rural areas are dialing
in at the rate of over 50 calls a day, over ordinary phone lines, which
sometimes are so noisy that they write binary garbage into name/password
lines, freeze the output, or even disconnect. There is no option to
fix the lines at the other end, only between the downtown switch and
the system, and maybe in the system.
   The lines are coming through Robotics 2400 and 1200 baud modems, a
Computone board, into the system. Would there be any real difference if
we changed boards to non-intelligent serial boards. (Is an 8 port
Digiboard non-intelligent?).
  Is there any good hardware/software solution at the system to filter
the signal better?

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (10/07/88)

In article <7304@well.UUCP> dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

>How can I deal with a chronic problem of very noisy incoming phone lines
>to a system from rural analog phones? Users in rural areas are dialing

There is always the possibility to crank up the signal-level of the modems.
This is illegal of course (the level must not exceed some value), but on the
other hand your users are being charged real money for bad connections,
and they pay just as much as people in areas with better lines.

No flames please about this suggestion. What do you do if you constantly
have bad voice-connections? You start yelling into the phone. Well, what
I suggest is that the modems start yelling. That's all.

Paul.
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Paul De Bra              | I am completely surrounded by giant bugs !    |
|debra@research.att.com   | There's millions of them, all over this code! |
|uunet!research!debra     | Beam me up quickly...Please...                |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (10/07/88)

In article <7304@well.UUCP>, dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

> How can I deal with a chronic problem of very noisy incoming phone lines
> to a system from rural analog phones? Users in rural areas are dialing
> in at the rate of over 50 calls a day, over ordinary phone lines, which

We also use US Robotics (the older VAR modem and now the Sportster, internal
for 286, external for 386).

Our users are everywhere and use UUCP for after the magical 11PM cost break to
send mail and news. We found that often there are hourly re-tries before a
logon is successful. But once contact is made, good old Xenix handles it well.

Our biggest difficulty was  with internal switchboard systems. They seem to
make one hell of a racket. Solution was to get users to get a separate line.

For support to rural (upstate PA etc) sites during the day it's often hit or
miss at 2400 baud. 1200 baud is used if noise is dramatic and stuff is lost.
we've even had to go down to 300 on occasion. We have a CALL scripts that
allows various speeds at call time by our support people.

I don't know if any of this is any help. But at least we seem to have overcome
the problems except for 100% first time logon capability.

--
Fred Rump, Pres.       | UUCP: {rutgers,cbmvax,bellcore}!bpa!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}