[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix uucp problems

jct@psm.UUCP (John Tompkins) (10/11/88)

We have 4 IBM-ATs runing XENIX 2.2.1 at various locations. We use uuto,
to update remote locations with updated software we create. About a year ago
one of the remotes, that had been working fine, decided it wanted to start
receiving files in "/receive ..." instead of the correct "~/receive ..." where ~
would be /usr/spool/uucppublic. Just recently another system did the same
thing "out of the blue". We have tried reloading uucp, uucico ..., we've
checked permissions on files and directories all to no avail. The only
thing I can figure is the HOME directory for the uucp login (which sets
the meaning of ~) is messed up, but looking at /etc/passwd it all seems OK.
If I create a "/receive" directory and set the permissions the files transfer
just fine but of course uupick doesn't know where to find them, I have to
extract them by hand.  Has anyone else seen this happen or know what to do ?
Thanks in advance.

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (10/14/88)

In article <266@psm.UUCP> jct@psm.UUCP (John Tompkins) writes:
>We have 4 IBM-ATs runing XENIX 2.2.1 at various locations. We use uuto,
>to update remote locations with updated software we create. About a year ago
>one of the remotes, that had been working fine, decided it wanted to start
>receiving files in "/receive ..." instead of the correct "~/receive ..." where ~
>would be /usr/spool/uucppublic. [...]

My bet is on one or more of the uucp files owner id changing to root,
hence ~/receive is correctly expanded to /receive.  Check the owner and
group ids of all files in /usr/lib/uucp.  Also be sure that the cron file
which invokes uucico is named uucp, so cron executes it as setuid uucp.

Dave Hammond
uunet!masa.com!marob!daveh