[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix make

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/03/88)

On SCO Xenix 2.2.1, the development system 2.2.1 /bin/make program lacks
the Berkeley "MFLAGS" macro; from looking through a SysV manual it
appears that all SysV's lack this...

Does someone have source code to a public domain make(1) that includes
the MFLAGS macro? (MFLAGS on Berkeley make contains the flags and
definitions provided on the command line of the preceeding level of
make, so you can walk down a subdirectory maintaining CFLAGS,
definition, etc...)

--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/07/88)

According to root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove):
>On SCO Xenix 2.2.1, the development system 2.2.1 /bin/make program lacks
>the Berkeley "MFLAGS" macro; from looking through a SysV manual it
>appears that all SysV's lack this...

Xenxi make has "MAKEFLAGS".  No hyphen, but it works.

	submake:
		cd subdir; $(MAKE) -$(MAKEFLAGS)

--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (10/10/88)

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove):
> >On SCO Xenix 2.2.1, the development system 2.2.1 /bin/make program lacks
> >the Berkeley "MFLAGS" macro; from looking through a SysV manual it
> >appears that all SysV's lack this...
>
> Xenxi make has "MAKEFLAGS".  No hyphen, but it works.
>
>         submake:
>                 cd subdir; $(MAKE) -$(MAKEFLAGS)
>
> --
> Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
> A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
>            Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

MAKEFLAGS doesn't work right, doesn't contain the right information.

Jay Libove                      ARPA: jl42@andrew.cmu.edu, libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Avenue, Apt 3	BITNET: jl42@andrew

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/14/88)

In article <EXHvo1128k-0Q4jMNK@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>> Xenix make has "MAKEFLAGS".  No hyphen, but it works.
>>
>>         submake:
>>                 cd subdir; $(MAKE) -$(MAKEFLAGS)
>
>MAKEFLAGS doesn't work right, doesn't contain the right information.

What doesn't work about it?  I tried it and it worked -
--
Script is typescript, started Thu Oct 13 20:21:20 1988
Subscript out of range.
1 - rpp386-> cat Makefile
all:
	echo $(MAKEFLAGS) ; cd c ; make -$(MAKEFLAGS)
2 - rpp386-> cat c/Makefile
all:
	echo $(MAKEFLAGS)
3 - rpp386-> make
	echo b ; cd c ; make -b
	echo b
4 - rpp386-> make -k -n
	echo bkn ; cd c ; make -bkn
5 - rpp386-> make -k
	echo bk ; cd c ; make -bk
bk
	echo bk
bk
6 - rpp386-> logout
Not a terminal: Not a character device
John's Words of Wisdumb -
But scientists, who ought to know
Assure us that it must be so.
Oh, let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about.
		-- Hilaire Belloc
Script done Thu Oct 13 20:22:30 1988
--
What's wrong with this?
--

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias