[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix "ex" limitation revisited

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/08/88)

On SCO Xenix 80286 version 2.2.1 the "ex" editor has a limit on the
maximum filesize it can edit - NOT the system ulimit, not running out
of space on /tmp, simply that "ex" stops reading at a certain point.

The file I was working with is a 14000 line, 450Kbyte file, a list of
all the files on my system.

Yes, I know, I'm crazy for wanting to edit that big a file; yes, I know
I can do the same thing with sed; but yes I also know that this would be
the simplest way for me to do what I want to (edit out certain files so
I get a valid list of files to back up).

Any suggestions on increasing that limit, or information as to why it
imposed at all?

Thanks in advance

--
Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (10/11/88)

In article <173@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) writes:

>On SCO Xenix 80286 version 2.2.1 the "ex" editor has a limit on the
>maximum filesize it can edit - NOT the system ulimit, not running out
>of space on /tmp, simply that "ex" stops reading at a certain point.
>
>The file I was working with is a 14000 line, 450Kbyte file, a list of
>all the files on my system.

Vi keeps a list of pointers to disk-blocks in its temporary file. The
size of the temporary file is thus limited. This also means that with
a smaller file you can run out of temp-file-blocks after some amount of
editing. Saving the file and restarting vi works in that case.

The 450 Kbyte however will not fit in the temp file.

Paul.

--
|--------------------------
|debra@research.att.com   |

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (10/11/88)

No, you're not crazy for wanting to edit a file that big.  I had the
Ed wiped out lots of my work before I figured out what was going on--no
message, no warning--it just chopped off everything at about about 100K.

To get around this, try using split [filename].  It will turn your file into
a lot of smaller files, called xaa, xab, xac, and so on.  You can edit these
smaller files and then chunk them back into one big one with

	cat x* > original.name

Hope this helps

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/15/88)

In <173@libove.UUCP>, root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) wrote:

> The file I was working with is a 14000 line, 450Kbyte file, a list of
> all the files on my system.

> Yes, I know, I'm crazy for wanting to edit that big a file;

I've edited my history file on several occasions, and have made manual
repairs to a customer database (maybe 4meg of text) by converting to
text, editing, then converting back.  GNU emacs works fine for this.
I understand GNU emacs does not behave well above 6meg though.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen      james@bigtex.cactus.org      "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 338-8789       9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759