[comp.unix.xenix] Modem control

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/15/88)

In article <8XIceSy00Uo141M0UZ@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>Unfortunately I can't get kermit to go out on
>the tty1A line, even though that is the modem
>control device!
>
>Anyone know how to get tty1A to let you talk
>out to the modem, and carry on a regular
>conversation via the modem?

You have to have kermit open the modem line with O_NDELAY and then
set CLOCAL until a carrier is detected.  Since the modem has not yet
made a connection, no carrier will be present and the open will
block waiting for DCD to be asserted.

Kermit has a `modem' flag, which can be set.  Did you remember to
issue the command 'set modem-dialer' before doing a 'set line' or
'dial' command?  Giving 'set modem-dialer' is supposed to do all
of this [ for your version of Kermit ] for you.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311                | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman:

root@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove) (10/18/88)

From article <7897@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, by jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum):
> You have to have kermit open the modem line with O_NDELAY and then
> set CLOCAL until a carrier is detected.  Since the modem has not yet
> made a connection, no carrier will be present and the open will
> block waiting for DCD to be asserted.
>
> Kermit has a `modem' flag, which can be set.  Did you remember to
> issue the command 'set modem-dialer' before doing a 'set line' or
> 'dial' command?  Giving 'set modem-dialer' is supposed to do all
> of this [ for your version of Kermit ] for you.
> --
> John F. Haugh II 	rpp386!jfh

I set my system up with the following kermit script:

set modem-dialer hayes
set line /dev/tty1A
set baud 2400
&etc...

And it locks tty1A and it works fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions net!

Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas
Pittsburgh, PA 15206	UUCP:	uunet!nfsun!libove!libove or
(412) 362-8983		UUCP:	psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove