[comp.unix.xenix] Help! Huge model bombs out

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (10/15/88)

I've been trying to compile a large program (PCOMM in this case, but
I've had this problem with other programs) under Xenix 2.0.4.  First
I tried the default model and the c files compiled no problem.  However,
at the link stage I got the "segment size >64K" error.  I tried switching
to the huge model, but halfway through the compile I got the following
error:

Compiler error (internal): infinite spill

Is this just because I'm using an older version of Xenix?  Is there anything
I can do to get around it?  (Don't tell me to upgrade; SCO wants $645 for that).

Please help!  Any tips for compiling big programs in general would be
appreciated.

Rich Skrenta

andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) (10/19/88)

In article <3700005@eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:

>........  I tried switching
>to the huge model, but halfway through the compile I got the following
>error:
>
>Compiler error (internal): infinite spill

This has been answered before, so I'll keep my answer short ...

the bigger the model, the more work the compiler has to do to cope with
re-direction, segements, offsets, arrays, pointers and stuff.

You reach the limit of how much the compiler can cope with, *very* quickly
in huge model.  Try spitting the offending line into two parts (using
temporary variables if necessary)

You can look up the message in your Programers guide II, under the tab
"cc and ld error messages" (if you look very hard :-) )