[comp.unix.xenix] QIC tape drive

scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) (10/23/88)

Is anyone using a QIC tape drive on a 20Mhz XENIX 386 system
(QIC24 format)? We are looking for a tape drive that uses a format
that can be read on Sun, AT&T, and other systems.  What is a good
tape drive?  SCO's compatible hardware section for release 2.2.3
only lists the Tecmar QIC-60AT drive.

--
Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.
scf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu          260 SW Madison Ave, Suite 109

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (10/25/88)

In article <1073@statware.UUCP>, scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) writes:
> Is anyone using a QIC tape drive on a 20Mhz XENIX 386 system
> (QIC24 format)? We are looking for a tape drive that uses a format
> that can be read on Sun, AT&T, and other systems.  What is a good
> tape drive?  SCO's compatible hardware section for release 2.2.3
> only lists the Tecmar QIC-60AT drive.
>
> --
> Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.

I use the Archive tape backup system (long card cntroller only) on my systems.
The tapes can be read without any problems on our SUNs if you use the
/dev/rst8 driver (high density) on the Suns. The reverse is also true.
(tapes written on the Suns can be read under Xenix) Please note that the only
compatible format is "tar".

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (10/26/88)

In article <228@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) writes:
>In article <1073@statware.UUCP>, scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) writes:
>> Is anyone using a QIC tape drive on a 20Mhz XENIX 386 system
>> (QIC24 format)? We are looking for a tape drive that uses a format
>
>We have been using Everex tape drives on our systems for a while now with
>no problems.  They come in either 60 or 125 Meg drives.  We have them
>set up as a type W, int=5, dma=1, base=0300.  The only glitch we ever

I have seen situations where the Wangtek controller will not run on 20MHz
systems that run the bus at 10MHz.  There can be problems with the "short
card" Archive controller in these systems too, but the "long card" archive
controller and FastTape drive work reliably.  Archive is one of the
tape systems SCO supports, so installation is a snap.

Larry Dighera

Disclaimer:
	I am biased toward the Archive system.  It has always worked
	reliably for me, and I market the 60 MB Archive external tape
	systems for $660.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

In article <2296@turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>In article <1073@statware.UUCP>, scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) writes:
>> Is anyone using a QIC tape drive on a 20Mhz XENIX 386 system
>> (QIC24 format)? We are looking for a tape drive that uses a format
>> that can be read on Sun, AT&T, and other systems.
>
>I use the Archive tape backup system (long card cntroller only) on my systems.

There is only one thing to watch on those archive drives....

A couple of months ago we had an "interesting" failure on our tape drive
(It's an archive with the SC400 long-card).  The drive would write (or
appear to) perfectly, but it wrote _junk_.  100%, absolute garbage.  We only
caught this one by (bad) luck, as our disk decided that it would crash a day
after the tape quit working right.  Fortunately the only loss was one days'
information; nasty but not a major disaster.

Now, we were under the impression that these drives had two gaps in the
head, and that they at least checked for sanity in the data that was
written.  It would appear that was a bad assumption, or that the particular
failure mode the archive board experienced was undetectable by this
operation.

We've also sold Wangtek gear, and have been completely happy with it (no
returns from customers, no failures).  Since we've never had a Wangtek
product fail I've got no idea if they are subject to the same failure mode
as the Archive units.

Both work fine with SCO Xenix V/386 V2.2.x

The moral?  ALWAYS check your tapes for readability, END TO END.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (10/29/88)

From article <2011@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, by karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger):
( refernce to Archive QIC tape drives...)

> Now, we were under the impression that these drives had two gaps in the
> head, and that they at least checked for sanity in the data that was
> written.  It would appear that was a bad assumption, or that the particular
> failure mode the archive board experienced was undetectable by this
> operation.

The problem is that the two-gap arrangement only verifies that magnetic
fluctuations got from the Write gap to the Read gap intact.
There is no verification that data got from the controller to the drive
intact.  There is an 8-bit data bus with no error check.
The gap trick is really only a media test.

> The moral?  ALWAYS check your tapes for readability, END TO END.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 435-5274