[comp.unix.xenix] Micro as an ethernet terminal server

rd@rtmvax.UUCP (Bob Thrush) (10/29/88)

In article <5676@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> howell@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Doc A. Howell) writes:

>  I am looking for a hardware/software combination that will allow
>several terminals that are connected via asynchronous lines to a multi-
>user micro-computer running something like SCO Xenix to access an
>ethernet interface, such as the 3C501 Etherlink I, and connect to a
>VAX. I got all of that in one sentence.
>
>  [ much deleted ]
>
>  What say you world? Is this doable? Is it worth the effort? Have you
>seen such a combination in action?

I am currently using an IBM AT running Microport System V/AT with the
(Microport version) Excelan TCP/IP package (using Excelan EXOS205 hardware)
for this purpose.  The Excelan package provides telnet, ftp, and 'r'
utility support as well as telnet, ftp, and rsh servers.  I believe
that SCO Xenix 286/386 offer a similar package with Excelan and
Micom-Interlan hardware.  In addition, I believe Excelan separately
sells the TCP/IP package for Xenix (something called Host-Share).

I can't offer any great amount of experience connecting with VAX systems.
We have a 750 and uVax 2000 on the network running VMS with rather
old versions of Excelan software.  I casually use telnet and ftp from
the AT to these systems, but can't really comment on quality of
implementation (I'm not a VMS power user).

My major usage of the TCP/IP utilities from the AT is rlogin and rcp
(to Sun workstations).  This arrangement works quite satisfactorily
(for me) since the EXOS card uses a 80186 to provide the TCP/IP
layers.  I fear that the AT CPU (6 Mhz 1 wait) performance on ethernet
i/o would be abysmal otherwise.  ;-}

>Doc Howell - UNCW - Communications and Hardware Support

Bob Thrush                             ...!tarpit!rd
Automation Intelligence, Inc.
1200 West Colonial Drive               (407)-843-7030 x210
Orlando, Fla 32804

--

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (10/30/88)

In article <5676@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, howell@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Doc A. Howell) writes:

>   I am looking for a hardware/software combination that will allow
> several terminals that are connected via asynchronous lines to a multi-
> user micro-computer running something like SCO Xenix to access an
> ethernet interface, such as the 3C501 Etherlink I, and connect to a
> VAX. I got all of that in one sentence.

	.
	.
	.

>   Now the hard part. It should also be possible to connect this multi-
> user micro to an ethernet via an internal ethernet interface card and
> make the micro act as a terminal server for the 32 attached terminals.
> I have found an Excelan product that does this but only for one user
> at a time. Not good enough. I want all 32 or at least a 50%, I'll take

I don't know what Excelan product you are talking about, but they do have
a product which will do the job.  They have at least two, on second thought.

Their Ethernet board will support 32 sessions, which translates to 16 remote
logins.  This has been confirmed by tech support at Excelan, since we have
a similar requirment.

They also have a product which will allow terminals to connect directly to
the Ethernet.  I don't have too many details, but I was told that it would
be a lot cheaper than going through a Xenix system.

A final note:  If you do go this route, use a 386 instead of a 286.  The
thinking was that the remote login uses up a lot of cpu cycles, and that
a 286 might not be able to handle it.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.