[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix 2.2.2 cron/crontab not working

mike@ISIDAPS5.UUCP (Mike Maloney) (10/25/88)

Has anyone else had problems getting the Xenix 2.2.2 (I'm running on
a NEC Powermate 386) crontab to work?  My situation is as follows:

1. I loaded the following commands via the crontab command:
	31 9 * * * echo "Doing expire..." | mail super
	32 9 * * * (/usr/lib/news/expire -p; echo "expire done" | mail super)

2. /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow does not exist.
3. /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny exists but is empty.
4. cron is indeed running.  I see it on the 'ps'.

At 9:31 AM every morning 'super' should get mail that says "Doing expire...".
At 9:32 the expire program should run and then I get more mail.  Right??
I get nothing.  I have to run expire by hand.  Frequently the disk fills up
on weekends.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or whether something is wrong with
SCO's cron (SCO are you listening?).
--
Mike Maloney				"That's like saying 'if we had
Integral Systems, Inc.			 eggs we could have bacon and eggs

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (10/26/88)

From article <219@ISIDAPS5.UUCP>, by mike@ISIDAPS5.UUCP (Mike Maloney):
> Has anyone else had problems getting the Xenix 2.2.2 (I'm running on
> a NEC Powermate 386) crontab to work?  My situation is as follows:
> [...]
> 4. cron is indeed running.  I see it on the 'ps'.
Perhaps you need to kill cron, and restart it.
Certain versions of SysV stopped periodic readings of the crontab
files in the interest of system performance.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 435-5274

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (10/28/88)

In article <778@starfish.Convergent.COM> cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>From article <219@ISIDAPS5.UUCP>, by mike@ISIDAPS5.UUCP (Mike Maloney):
>> Has anyone else had problems getting the Xenix 2.2.2 (I'm running on
>> a NEC Powermate 386) crontab to work?  My situation is as follows:
>> [...]
>> 4. cron is indeed running.  I see it on the 'ps'.
>Perhaps you need to kill cron, and restart it.
>Certain versions of SysV stopped periodic readings of the crontab
>files in the interest of system performance.
>--

There is another very old bug (certainly present in System III already)
that sometimes a process which is swapped out while waiting for an alarm
never gets swapped in again. I know it may seem strange, but we really had
cron become ineffective that way on an old System III system. So you may
want to make sure cron is not swapped out. (in that case killing and restarting
helps too)

I haven't experienced it on my 286-Xenix system yet since it never swaps.
(i bought lots of memory when it was cheap)

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     | att!grumpy!debra |

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (11/01/88)

=
=1. I loaded the following commands via the crontab command:
=	31 9 * * * echo "Doing expire..." | mail super
=	32 9 * * * (/usr/lib/news/expire -p; echo "expire done" | mail super)
=
=2. /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow does not exist.
=3. /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny exists but is empty.
=4. cron is indeed running.  I see it on the 'ps'.
=
=At 9:31 AM every morning 'super' should get mail that says "Doing expire...".
=At 9:32 the expire program should run and then I get more mail.  Right??
=I get nothing.  I have to run expire by hand.  Frequently the disk fills up
=on weekends.

We're still trying to track this one down.  A workaround is to add the
following entry to your crontab file:

0  0,6,12,18  *  *  *  /bin/true

Giving cron something to do at least every 6 hours seems to cure the problem.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
uunet!sco!rosso