[comp.unix.xenix] Need info on Tandy 68000 Xenix

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (10/31/88)

We recently acquired a 3 year old Tandy 68000 (Xenix) system,
and would like to replace the hard disk (it is logging new bad
blocks almost daily).

Can anyone suggest 3rd party hard drive manufacturers for
Tandy 68000 machines, or are we limited to what Tandy offers?

Also, the manuals which we received with the machine fit in
a single binder, and are more of a "guide" than a "reference".
There are no Unix-style manual pages (at least that we found).

Is there a more indepth Tandy-specific reference available from Tandy
or one of the reference book publishers?

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: ...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com

mce@pbsdts.UUCP (Mark Edwards) (11/01/88)

In article <352@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>Can anyone suggest 3rd party hard drive manufacturers for
>Tandy 68000 machines, or are we limited to what Tandy offers?
>
>Is there a more indepth Tandy-specific reference available from Tandy
>or one of the reference book publishers?
>
>Dave Hammond
>  UUCP: ...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh
>DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com
I replaced the 15 meg Tandon 503 with a Miniscribe 6053 (44 Meg, 28 ms) two
years ago.  It works just fine, and is an easy drop in replacement.  The
extra speed doesn't hurt either.  The cost was $625 then, but you can get
the 6085 (71 Meg) for about $620 today.  The internal hardware mounts a full
height drive.  Stay within the limits of 1024 cylinders and 8 heads.
Buy the service manual at the Computer Center.  It's about $25 bucks, but it's
all you'll ever need to care for the old girl.  I've had my since December
of 1983, and it's running strong.
	I'm still saving my money to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.  Maybe the nice
guys in hardware development will fix us up with a 68030 at 25 Mhz....
a Tandy 7000?  There's still plenty of life in these machines.  System V.3.X
on a 68030 would be real nifty.  It's probably hopeless.  Tandy seems to be
smitten by the Intel processor curse.  At least they still support the 6000!
My card cage is itching for a faster CPU and about 5 Megs of memory.  A VGA
graphics card wouldn't hurt either.  Dream on.....
------------
Mark C. Edwards             voice:      619/586-2204
Associate Systems Analyst   unix:       mce@pbsdts.pacbell.com

--
Mark C. Edwards             voice:      619/586-2204
Associate Systems Analyst   unix:       mce@pbsdts.pacbell.com

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (11/01/88)

You can put in just about any drive.  We scrapped our Tandy 15 meg and
replaced it with a MiniScribe 6085 (70 meg) and it was really a matter
of just plugging it in and soldering in a few spots.  I can't really
remember what the solder spots were for, but I don't think they were
critical to the drive operation.  We later moved the 70 meg to our new
Tandy 4000 with RLL and put a Seagate 20 meg into the Tandy drive box.
Just have at it.  I will try and find out what the solder spots are for
and pass that along too.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________