[comp.unix.xenix] interesting "feature" in 2.3.1

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (11/01/88)

I noticed a very interesting "FEATURE" in version 2.3.1 of Xenix386. This
has to do with the time change last Sunday. All worked perfectly as the clock
was reduced by one hour at 2AM. The interesting "feature" was that I have many
crontab entries and during the day, on Sunday, each entry was executed TWICE!
Each entry was executed one hour earlier than it was supposed to do so and
then at the correct time! I rebooted the system and this "feature" no longer
existed! It seems that cron may have a small problem.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

markc@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Mark Corscadden) (11/02/88)

> / hpsmtc1:comp.unix.xenix / sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) /  4:33 pm  Oct 31, 1988 /
> I noticed a very interesting "FEATURE" in version 2.3.1 of Xenix386. This
> has to do with the time change last Sunday. All worked perfectly as the clock
> was reduced by one hour at 2AM. The interesting "feature" was that I have many
> crontab entries and during the day, on Sunday, each entry was executed TWICE!
> Each entry was executed one hour earlier than it was supposed to do so and
> then at the correct time! I rebooted the system and this "feature" no longer
> existed! It seems that cron may have a small problem.
>
> Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz
> ----------

This must be a cron problem that evolved early - I have seen exactly the
same problem running HP-UX, which is Hewlett-Packard's version of UN*X. I
don't know how far back you need to go in order to find a common ancestor
of HP-UX and version 2.3.1 of Xenix386, but I'm guessing they may both have
inherited this bug from a common 'source'.

Mark Corscadden			| don't want a pickle,
hplabs!hpda!markc		| jest want to ride my moter-cickle

ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) (11/02/88)

>I noticed a very interesting "FEATURE" in version 2.3.1 of Xenix386. This
>has to do with the time change last Sunday.
>crontab
>Each entry was executed one hour earlier than it was supposed to do so and
>then at the correct time!

Check your timezone variable 'TZ'.
If it reads TZ=XXXsnYYY, then change it to TZ=XXXsn.
We had this same problem happening on NUXI V.2 with TZ=MET-1MET,
occurring in /etc/inittab as:

ev::environ:TZ=MET-1MET

The latter three letters are the 'daylight time zone' and you might not want to
use it any longer as of now.

You may find the setting of TZ in /etc/TIMEZONE or /etc/tz or being referred
to in /etc/profile as in

	. /etc/TIMEZONE

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (11/04/88)

In article <1111@rivm05.UUCP>, ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) writes:

> You may find the setting of TZ in /etc/TIMEZONE or /etc/tz or being referred
> to in /etc/profile as in
>
> 	. /etc/TIMEZONE

The FEATURE no longer existed after I rebooted the system! All the envionmental
variable are OK.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz