[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix & RLL

tyager@apollo.COM (Tom Yager) (11/03/88)

Okay, I'll admit I've seen this topic go by before, but I wasn't interested
then! My Seagate ST-251 just lost its head (#5 to be precise) & I'm looking
for a replacement. It has to be 1/2 height. Right now, the front runner is
the Miniscribe 3085, but the $800 tag on that is frightening. The prices on
the RLL drives are much more reasonable, but there's a minor rub: I've never
seen or used an RLL drive before, and have some questions.

My primary OS is Xenix, which has a Miniscribe 2085 dedicated to it, and it
used to get half (20MB) of the ST-251 as well. The other half ran, well,
let's not talk about it. I have seen here that Xenix will work with RLL
drives & controllers, but what about my Miniscribe? If I have to replace that,
too, then it isn't reasonable for me to consider making the jump to RLL.

I'd like to hear from someone running an RLL/Xenix combination, preferably on
something like a 20MHz '386 (like mine). All advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, as always, in advance.
(ty)

--
+-Tom Yager, Apollo Computer R&D----------------------ARPA: tyager@apollo.com-+
| I speak only for myself.                       -or- tyager%maxx@m2c.m2c.org |

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/04/88)

I run Xenix on an Adaptek RLL controller and ST4096 and ST251 (not even
-1). I have no problem since identifying the bad tracks. After using the
Adaptek tests to find all the bad tracks I could, and letting Xenix beat
on the drive a while, I installed Xenix and started running. The disk
ran a week and corrupted, several times... Finally I looked in messages
and saw that the first few problems were always on the same tracks. I
didn't even reformat, just used badtrk to get rid of those tracks, and
everything ran for eight weeks. The system is down for other reasons at
the moment, but the controller seems fine.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (11/04/88)

In article <3f6dfb02.6bad@apollo.COM> tyager@apollo.COM (Tom Yager) writes:
>I'd like to hear from someone running an RLL/Xenix combination, preferably on
>something like a 20MHz '386 (like mine). All advice will be appreciated.

SCO Xenix supports RLL formatted hard drives.  It isn't even necessary
to purchase RLL certified drives, as most plated-media drives work
just fine.  Specifically, the Maxtor XT-1085, XT-1140, and Micropolis
1325 operate perfectly when formatted RLL 2-7.

Consider increasing the performance of your entire hard disk subsystem
further by employing a controller capable of supporting 1:1 interleave.
The Adaptec ACB-2372 will increase an ATs hard disk throughput from
the normal 250 Kb/s to ~750 Kb/s.  The A revision of this controller
runs fine at a 10 Mhz buss speed.

The most inexpensive and fastest 100 MB file system can be implemented
with the above mentioned Adaptec controller and Micropolis drive.  Total
cost should be under ~$700.00 for the hardware.

There are faster and larger options, but this is the most inexpensive
I have found.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)