[comp.unix.xenix] VP/ix and the EGA

jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (11/08/88)

Does some one know of or have an alternate character set for the
ROMEGA under VP/ix. The shipped set has got to be the ugliest
garbage I have ever seen on a tube.

How about a new group for VP/ix?

Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego
mike.lodman@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM
{sdcsvax,cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA}!ncr-sd!ivory!mike

When you die, if you've been very, very good, you'll go to ... Montana.

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (11/09/88)

In article <226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>Does some one know of or have an alternate character set for the
>ROMEGA under VP/ix. The shipped set has got to be the ugliest
>garbage I have ever seen on a tube.

Agreed.  Under ISC's older version of VP/ix, I just copied the ROM
that came with the Paradise EGA/480 into ROMEGA to get a better character
set and support for the extended modes.  But under the 'new' version
of VP/ix (1.10, I think), this doesn't work (locks up the computer).
I would guess that the Xenix flavor of VP/ix also shares this misfeature.

>How about a new group for VP/ix?

Seeing that we couldn't even get enough support (positive OR negative)
on the group renaming, I doubt that VP/ix could drum up enough support,
either.
--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

skip@skipnyc.UUCP (Skip Gilbrech) (11/09/88)

In article <612@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>>Does some one know of or have an alternate character set for the
>>ROMEGA under VP/ix. The shipped set has got to be the ugliest
>>garbage I have ever seen on a tube.
>
>Agreed.  Under ISC's older version of VP/ix, I just copied the ROM
>that came with the Paradise EGA/480 into ROMEGA to get a better character
>set and support for the extended modes.  But under the 'new' version
>of VP/ix (1.10, I think), this doesn't work (locks up the computer).
>I would guess that the Xenix flavor of VP/ix also shares this misfeature.

I made some patches for annoying (to me..) features of (Xenix) VP/ix almost
a year ago.  It seems they are still required for the new 'uncontrolled'
release (no comment).  Putting back the old char. set is among the
patches.  I just copy the old char. set into the 'rom' once dos comes up,
which doesn't provide any additional mode support, but does get rid of
the ugly chars (otherwise they invade the entire machine...).

There's some additional (mostly timer-related) stuff which could probably
be used/adapted for ISC VP/ix (assuming it's needed), since it all runs
under dos.  You'll need Microsoft C and/or Xenix cross-development package
to compile the stuff, but I'll send a shar to anyone who sends me a request.
--
Skip Gilbrech                           UUCP: uunet!pwcmrd!skip
PaineWebber, NYC                              attmail!skipnyc!skip

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/10/88)

In article <612@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
:Agreed.  Under ISC's older version of VP/ix, I just copied the ROM
:that came with the Paradise EGA/480 into ROMEGA to get a better character
:set and support for the extended modes.  But under the 'new' version
:of VP/ix (1.10, I think), this doesn't work (locks up the computer).
:I would guess that the Xenix flavor of VP/ix also shares this misfeature.

I'm running 1.01.00 VP/ix under Xenix, which (I think) is the current
version.  As with previous versions, I substitute an image of the
Genoa SUperEGA HiRES rom for the supplied ROMEGA file.  This allows
the higher resolution modes etc. to be used.  Unfortunately, the
Genoa EGA ROM does not know how to handle the screen swapping functions,
so one must be careful not to swap screens while the Genoa ROM image is
being used.  I have recommended that SCO and/or ISC document these
extensions to allow Genoa et al to support the combination of VP/ix
and multiple screens.

With the current VP/ix version, it is usually possible to put things back
in order with a kill -1 given from a serial terminal.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF