[comp.unix.xenix] AT&T 6386 Mother Board Floppy Controller

dpj@wybbs.UUCP (Deloy Johnson) (11/10/88)

We are attempting to install a PRIAM 325Mb (formatted) hard disk in our AT&T
6386 and are having a few problems.  We are using a controller board from
Adaptec that has both hard disk and floppy controller capabilities.  Normally,
this would be fine, but the 6386 has its floppy controller on the mother board,
and as of yet, we have been unable to disable either it or the floppy controller
on the controller board.  My question is, does anyone know if it is possible to
disable the floppy controller on the mother board or if Adaptec makes a control-
ler board without the floppy controller?  We've tried contacting both AT&T and
Adaptec, but niether have been of much help, yet.

Any response would be much appreciated ...

Thanks

Deloy Johnson

WORK : (616) 452-1191
HOME : (616) 538-6055
email: ...!killer!wybbs!dpj

mcripps@mtuxo.att.com (XMP12-M.CRIPPS) (11/11/88)

In article <113@wybbs.UUCP>, dpj@wybbs.UUCP (Deloy Johnson) writes:
(lines deleted)
> on the controller board.  My question is, does anyone know if it is possible to
> disable the floppy controller on the mother board or if Adaptec makes a control-
> ler board without the floppy controller?  We've tried contacting both AT&T and
> Adaptec, but niether have been of much help, yet.

I perused the Service Manual and Hardware Reference manual for the 6386
and all I could find was a set of jumpers labled "Floppy disk controller
VCO clock" located at Z12LU on the motherboard (that's upper left hand corner
when the connectors at the back are facing up).  Unfortunately, nowhere
can I find a description of what they do, why they are there, and what
would happen if you monkeyed with them.

This appears to be the extent of the official documentation on the matter
(unless I can't find the right page).  Anyone else out there know something
that we don't????

Mike Cripps
mtuxo!mcripps