[comp.unix.xenix] DOS under UNIX

jct@psm.UUCP (John Tompkins) (11/10/88)

> In article <345@fsc2086.UU.NET> jim@fsc2086.UU.NET (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> >> The final version of VP/IX corrects most problems I encountered with 1.0.
> >> It also supports comm programs up to 2400 baud.
> >
> >In today's world of TB+ modems (and its similar companions in the 9600 baud
> >world) are we really to consider 2400 to be a *reasonable* baud rate?
> >
> Yes.
>
> In today's world of communication programs available under Unix (Xenix)
> i think it is very reasonable when someone, who still insists to run a DOS
> based communication program on top of Unix, still gets 2400 baud throughput.
>
> There is a LOT of overhead involved in accessing devices, so you get what
> you deserve.
>
> Paul.
> --

As one of the origionators of this series of questions I feel qualified to
offer a rebuttal :-).

Im my particular situation, I am not trying a patch together a quick fix.
I have been using, and prefer, UNIX for several years. However, there ARE
DOS program that are really nice. In this application, there is a DOS
complier/debugger that can debug embedded systems over serial communication
lines. Using the UNIX as a host, I can develop the system either locally or
over a modem from a remote site. This way I don't have to get on an
airplane every time something goes wrong. Personally, I think this is
rather crafty, if I do say so myself :-}. I think this example, and I am
sure there are lots of others, shows a powerful way of using systems
together.

By the way, has anyone tried running Turbo-C and/or Turbo-Debugger under
VPIX? I still think it will work but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for all the help I have already received, and am sure I will continue
to get in the future.

John C. Tompkins

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (11/11/88)

In article <268@psm.UUCP>, jct@psm.UUCP (John Tompkins) writes:

> By the way, has anyone tried running Turbo-C and/or Turbo-Debugger under
> VPIX? I still think it will work but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Yes.  I have been running both Microsoft Quick-C and Borland Turbo-C under
VP/ix with no problems at all.  I have a set of programs which compile
under both Xenix and DOS, and can access the same data files without
change.  The only quirk (if it is that) is that the Xenix program must
be in either 8086 or 80286 mode, because the 386 mode has the integers
being 4 bytes long, and structures which depend on a 2 byte integer get
screwed up.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.