[comp.unix.xenix] uucp working on *anyone's* Altos???

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (10/05/88)

Does anyone out there have uucp running on an Altos?  I work
for a parent company that also owns a VAR which sells Altos and
their own software package for the medical industry.  We have not
been able to get uucp working reliably on any of the Altos
models.  1086, 2086, Series 2000, etc.  We've had better luck with
the newer 2000's, but it still doesn't work well enough to be
usable.  Altos has been no help at all.

If anyone out there can be of any help, or just give me some
suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I'll be glad to give you more
detailed information if you need it.

Thanks,
Roger Cornelius

--
                +---------- Roger Cornelius -----------+
                |            (813)347-4399             |

pfrennin@altos86.UUCP (Peter Frenning) (10/06/88)

To: rac@jc3b21.UUCP
Subject: Re: uucp working on *anyone's* Altos???
Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp,comp.unix.xenix,comp.unix.questions

In article <478@jc3b21.UUCP> you write:
]
]If anyone out there can be of any help, or just give me some
]suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I'll be glad to give you more
]detailed information if you need it.
]
]Thanks,
]Roger Cornelius

Since I don't have a mailer which understands domain adressing, I have to post
this to the network, for which I apologize.

Hi Roger!
If you would care to give me a call, I'll be happy to try and help you.
over the last four years I have been using uucp extensively on a succession
of Altos machines, including your problemchildren, and I might add with nary
a problem.
So why don't you give me a call at (408) 946 6700 ext. 4506, I just might be
able to help you.

Best regards

Peter Frenning

To: rac@jc3b21.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp,comp.unix.xenix,comp.unix.questions
Bcc:

In article <478@jc3b21.UUCP> you write:
>Does anyone out there have uucp running on an Altos?  I work
>for a parent company that also owns a VAR which sells Altos and
>their own software package for the medical industry.  We have not
>been able to get uucp working reliably on any of the Altos
>models.  1086, 2086, Series 2000, etc.  We've had better luck with
>the newer 2000's, but it still doesn't work well enough to be
>usable.  Altos has been no help at all.
>
>If anyone out there can be of any help, or just give me some
>suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I'll be glad to give you more
>detailed information if you need it.
>
>Thanks,
>Roger Cornelius

Hi Roger!
If you would care to give me a call, I'll be happy to try and help you.
over the last four years I have been using uucp extensively on a succession
of Altos machines, including your problemchildren, and I might add with nary
a problem.
So why don't you give me a call at (408) 946 6700 ext. 4506, I just might be
able to help you.

Best regards

Peter Frenning

thad@cup.portal.com (10/07/88)

The September 1988 issue of UNIX REVIEW has a review of Altos' 386 Series
2000 system, and claims the system is designed for those desiring a
multi-user "UNIX (tm)" and uucp.

The Series 2000 is running Xenix; suggest you contact SCO for uucp help.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

erik@mpx1.UUCP (Erik Murrey) (10/09/88)

In article <9812@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com writes:
> The Series 2000 is running Xenix; suggest you contact SCO for uucp help.

Actually, the Altos 500,1000 and 2000 run Unix System V.3.  It's
quite nice, but the proprietary hardware scares me. (I had
very bad experiences with Altos' early machines (586/986/686) )

The 500 is an AT/386 class computer that can run SCO OR Altos'
Unix V.3.

The UUCP, of course, is HoneyDanBer (BNU).
--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/16/88)

As quoted from <678@blblbl.UUCP> by henrik@blblbl.UUCP (Larry DeLuca):
+---------------
| 	7.  If you're just having mail problems, there is a nasty bug
| 		on the OS that was shipped with the 386/2000 (don't know
| 		if it's still there).  The rmail(1) would barf if you
| 		gave it more than one username, giving a "usage:" message
| 		and exiting, throwing your mail into the bit bucket with
| 		no tracer.  I fixed this by making a link called rmail
| 		to mail(1).
+---------------

(1) Which version of the OS?  Xenix V or System V?  Which release?

(2) I've never seen an rmail that supports multicasting (multiple recipients
in one rmail), although I'm told they exist.  Any mailer that depends on
rmail supporting multiple addresses is incompatible with the rest of the
world.

I've sent mail and files back and forth between 1000's and 2000's and stock
System Vr2 and 4.2BSD UUCP's.  Works fine, IF you set things up right; but
even with HDB UUCP it's a pain in the butt to set up.  (The same is true of
every other UN*X box I've used; quite a few.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S Allbery uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery allbery%ncoast@hal.cwru.edu
(LAST RESORT ONLY:  allbery@uunet.uu.net)			DELPHI: ALLBERY

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (10/22/88)

In article <9812@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com writes:
> The September 1988 issue of UNIX REVIEW has a review of Altos' 386 Series
> 2000 system, and claims the system is designed for those desiring a
> multi-user "UNIX (tm)" and uucp.
>
> The Series 2000 is running Xenix; suggest you contact SCO for uucp help.

[Correction to the above]

Wrongo.  The series 200 is runing an uncertified UNIX 5.2. called Xenix
by Altos.  There is a certified 5.3 sold for the same machine and called
UNIX.

Altos Xenix is NOT a product of SCO.  Altos does their own hacking, although
they originated with the MicroSoft port.

Xenix is originally a port of an old version of UNIX (III I think; I forget;
it's late), as evidenced by /etc/init reading the file /etc/ttys.  Both of
the OS's which run on the 2000 and the 1000 use /etc/inittab, making their
system V ancestry obvious.

[Soloution to 2 Altos problems and moderate Altos Tech support policy flame]

UUCP on standard Altos ports:

Fixing UUCP is simply a matter of realizing that Altos ported the System V
drivers with bugs and AT&T modem dependance included (CTS/RTS needed all
the time when the modem is on) and that there is a simple cable fix.
Unfortunately, the documentation for a type 2 modem (such as a Hayes) which
lives in appendix C of the owners guide is the wrong cable, and was lifted
out of the 686/886/1086/2086 series documentation without being updated to
include the AT&Tisms causing serious problems once in a while (Yes, I have
told AT&T's tier 3 about it and they said "Oh.").

	Simple fix is to use a type 2 modem cable and strap pins 4 and 8
on the 9 pin connecter on the Altos end.

The biggest pain with this problem is that Altos won't talk to you unless
you pay them money or threaten to not port to their machines and can show
a market impact as a result.  It's almost as if they wish to be paid to
listen to their problems.  I can understand not wanting to hear something
that a user has done that really isn't a problem caused by implementation,
but you'd think they wanted SOME input, if only for marketing reasons...
I finally got someone to agree to read letters I sent them without having
to pay them money.  I'll be damned if I'll pay to tell them within 15
lines of code in tty.c where THEIR problem is.  MAYBE I'll find enough
time to write him about the documentation fix mentioned above...

UUCP on "multidrop" boards:

	Note that you should not use a "multidrop" board, as it will not
allow you to have both callin and callout on the same port at all.  Since
you have to force DCD and DTR on the modem so the port can be opened, and
you MUST use a non modem control device in order to call out, the port is
useless for call in purposes.  Enabling the port causes a "deadly embrace"
lockup between the modem an /bin/login.  I can not recommend this board
until the driver has been corrected.  Altos didn't want my help fixing
this one, either.  I can't even find out if this is an Altos product or
if some poor third party company is suffering because they haven't been
told, since Altos won't talk to me.  Sheesh. :-(.

				terry@wsccs

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (10/25/88)

Altos sells machines that are decent.

However their support stinks,the software stinks and they
simply don't give a damn for the end user. Unless you are
a major var with megabucks invested in their equipment they
ignore you.

Once the slightest advance in hardware occurs, they drop support
of their older boxes and move on to the next toy. Don't let this
happen to you.

I once made the mistake of buying Altos equipment , but after
that experience.. NEVER AGAIN ALTOS. They don't give a damn about
bugs just bucks.

Len Rose - Netsys,Inc.
len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len@netsys.com

korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) (10/26/88)

Though I know, my reply is a bit late, here it goes:

In article <9812@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
)The September 1988 issue of UNIX REVIEW has a review of Altos' 386 Series
)2000 system, and claims the system is designed for those desiring a
)multi-user "UNIX (tm)" and uucp.
)
)The Series 2000 is running Xenix; suggest you contact SCO for uucp help.
Not true.

The Series 2000 is running Unix V.3.1 meanwhile.
They supply HoneyDanBer uucp.

--
Hans Korneder                            SNAILMAIL: Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: korn@altger.uucp                              Wuermstrasse 55

In article <743@wsccs.UUCP> terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) writes:
>UUCP on "multidrop" boards:
>

>	Note that you should not use a "multidrop" board, as it will not
>allow you to have both callin and callout on the same port at all.
I'm using a Modem on a Multidrop-board.
It works quite fine for Dialin/Dialout.
(I have to admit: I had to correct uuset a bit to make it work...)

> ... Altos won't talk to me.  Sheesh. :-(.
Too bad.
Talk to us!

--

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/01/88)

As quoted from <743@wsccs.UUCP> by terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one):
+---------------
| In article <9812@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com writes:
| > The Series 2000 is running Xenix; suggest you contact SCO for uucp help.
|
| [Correction to the above]
|
| Wrongo.  The series 200 is runing an uncertified UNIX 5.2. called Xenix
| by Altos.  There is a certified 5.3 sold for the same machine and called
| UNIX.
+---------------

Close, but no cigar.

The "old" Series 2000 OS is Microsoft Xenix (note that SCO did not invent
Xenix, people, Microsoft did!) as hacked by Altos.  The Series 2000 Model 20
(I think I like the old naming convention better, this is getting ridiculous!)
runs "Altos System V" -- it is uncertified as either UNIX or XENIX.  (The
rumor is that AT&T and Microsoft were annoyed that Altos rushed their
Unix/Xenix merge to market before System V Release 3.2 was ready.  As I
said, it's only a rumor; for all I know it doesn't pass AT&T or Microsoft
specs.)

+---------------
| Xenix is originally a port of an old version of UNIX (III I think; I forget;
| it's late), as evidenced by /etc/init reading the file /etc/ttys.  Both of
| the OS's which run on the 2000 and the 1000 use /etc/inittab, making their
| system V ancestry obvious.
+---------------

V7; System III has /etc/inittab, although it's quite different from the
System V version.

+---------------
| 	Note that you should not use a "multidrop" board, as it will not
| allow you to have both callin and callout on the same port at all.  Since
| you have to force DCD and DTR on the modem so the port can be opened, and
| you MUST use a non modem control device in order to call out, the port is
| useless for call in purposes.  Enabling the port causes a "deadly embrace"
| lockup between the modem an /bin/login.  I can not recommend this board
| until the driver has been corrected.  Altos didn't want my help fixing
| this one, either.  I can't even find out if this is an Altos product or
| if some poor third party company is suffering because they haven't been
| told, since Altos won't talk to me.  Sheesh. :-(.
+---------------

My only comment about the support is that Altos isn't the only one; I had
two years of trying to get Plexus to pay attention to me without paying
money.  On the other hand, please remember that their tech support is a
BUSINESS and they SHOULD expect money in return for having phones and tech
support personnel tied up doing something.

As for multidrop:  I think you'll find if you look at it closely that
multidrop is little more than warmed-over WorkNet.  Right down to the
cabling and the number of addressable nodes.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (11/04/88)

In article <1094@altger.UUCP>, korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) writes:
> In article <743@wsccs.UUCP> terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) writes:
> >UUCP on "multidrop" boards:
>
> > ... Altos won't talk to me.  Sheesh. :-(.
> Too bad.
> Talk to us!
> Hans Korneder                            SNAILMAIL: Altos Computer Systems
> UUCP: korn@altger.uucp                              Wuermstrasse 55
> BANG: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!altger!korn             D-8032 Graefelfing (Germany)

It is really too bad that Altos USA is silent but response comes from Germany.

It may say something about Altos' future here in this country. The market
tends to react much quicker over here to bad service and we can expect the
numbers to show the results in Altos' bottom line soon.

We used to sell Altos systems! If that says anything.
--
Fred Rump, Pres.       | UUCP: {rutgers,cbmvax,bellcore}!bpa!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}

rdm2@nvuxr.UUCP (R McBurnett) (11/05/88)

In article <1093@altger.UUCP> korn@altger.UUCP (Hans Korneder) writes:
|Though I know, my reply is a bit late, here it goes:
|
|In article <9812@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
|)The September 1988 issue of UNIX REVIEW has a review of Altos' 386 Series
|)2000 system, and claims the system is designed for those desiring a
|)multi-user "UNIX (tm)" and uucp.
|)
|)The Series 2000 is running Xenix; suggest you contact SCO for uucp help.
|Not true.
|
|The Series 2000 is running Unix V.3.1 meanwhile.
|They supply HoneyDanBer uucp.

|--
|Hans Korneder                            SNAILMAIL: Altos Computer Systems
|UUCP: korn@altger.uucp                              Wuermstrasse 55
|BANG: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!altger!korn             D-8032 Graefelfing (Germany)

Wait... you are both right.... we have in our lab altos series 2000's
that are running Xenix and Unix System 5 Release 3.1 side by side.  I
have put up HoneyDanBer on both.

--
Roe D McBurnett III	Bellcore		|these are my own
(201)758-2333	 rdm2@nvuxr.cc.bellcore.com	|rantings not Bellcore's

cxf@bridge2.3Com.Com (Craig Fulgham) (11/10/88)

I don't seem to know what your problem is with uucp.....I was a tech
support engineer for altos and we had many cust with uucp working just
fine!

Oh and by the way....If you want to talk to altos tech support
buy a support contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) (11/11/88)

In article <163@bridge2.3Com.Com> cxf@bridge2.3Com.com (Craig Fulgham) writes:
>I don't seem to know what your problem is with uucp.....I was a tech
>support engineer for altos and we had many cust with uucp working just
>fine!

He was probably working a doggy piece of crap like I was whose ports
were designed to connect to dumb terminals, not modems.
--
Greg

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (11/14/88)

#
#Oh and by the way....If you want to talk to altos tech support
#buy a support contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well.. that's the kind of attitude that really sells new boxes to old
customers.. Never again.. Buy a real machine from a real company.Like AT&T,
Dec,Sun,etc..

I seem to remember a uucico bug on Altos 586 and 986 boxes that wouldn't
let you dial more than 11 digits,no matter what.. It was known from the
beginning but never fixed.. Kind of hard for people to use Sprint,MCI,or
god forbid something like PC Pursuit.