[comp.unix.xenix] Help! New owner of xenix need professional help!

gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) (11/12/88)

I recently purchased xenix for my 386 system and need some help!

I have a 386 system that runns at 20hz what value do I set the
enviroment variable HZ?

I have a everex evercom 24 internal modem, does anyone have a better
driver for it than the standard one supplied for the hayes 2400 baud
modem?

Someone out there must have set up their system to be able to use modems
I saw that most of the docs made incorrect set procedures.  What are the
real ones.  I want bi-directional ports!

Also what software should I have and where should I get it?  Public
Domain?   Is there an archive site set up for xenix type of stuff?

I am used too real unix Sys5.2/3 and am a little confused at the moment.

Thanks!

--
Gary Falsken
Renaissance Consulting

jimiii@mips.COM (Jim Warford) (11/12/88)

In article <963@rencon.UUCP> gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) writes:

>I recently purchased xenix for my 386 system and need some help!
>
>I have a 386 system that runns at 20hz what value do I set the
>enviroment variable HZ?
                                   ^^^^
    Pretty Slow!!!!! How many days does it take to boot?????

>--
>Gary Falsken
>Renaissance Consulting
 ^^^^^^^^^^^
 With a 20 hz cpu no wonder you are computing in the dark ages! ;*)

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (11/14/88)

I was in your shoes a little while ago.  Bare bones Xenix system, and
wondering how they could leave out all that important stuff.

If you have access to Internet Ftp, I suggest checking out uunet.uu.net.
They maintain archives of comp.sources.unix, and have lots of good source,
some of which can even be made to run under Xenix

If you don't have access to ftp, there are lots of bulletin boards and such
which allow anonymous uucp connections to download software.  I don't have
any of the numbers around right now, but I'm sure you'll come across them.

So far I haven't found any reasonable way to use a modem both as dial in and
dial out.  I had a few programs which purported to do the trick, but couldn't
get any of them to work.  Does anyone know if uugetty is included in the
newer xenixes?  (I'm running 2.0.4).  Are there any PD programs out there
which let xenix have both dial in and dial out on a modem?

Rich Skrenta

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (11/16/88)

In article <3700008@eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
>So far I haven't found any reasonable way to use a modem both as dial in and
>dial out.  I had a few programs which purported to do the trick, but couldn't
>get any of them to work.  Does anyone know if uugetty is included in the
>newer xenixes?  (I'm running 2.0.4).  Are there any PD programs out there
>which let xenix have both dial in and dial out on a modem?

I don't know if this is "reasonable", but our customers have had dialin/dialout
modem lines for years.  What we do is simply replace uucico with a wrapper
which invokes disable for the port, then the real uucico, then enable to
restart the port.  Same for 'cu'.  This works out fine because enable will
fail if anyone is logged on the port, thus a shell script line like

disable /dev/tty1A && /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.orig

works just fine.  Note that Xenix has a utility ungetty which is supposed
to work like uugetty, and handle the above in a transparent manner.  I have
found this a bit flakey and prefer the uucico-wrapper approach.

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: ...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh
DOMAIN: daveh@marob.masa.com

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (11/17/88)

In article <3700008@eecs.nwu.edu>, skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
> So far I haven't found any reasonable way to use a modem both as dial in and
> dial out.

Version 2.2 (and, I assume, later ones as well) provide for bi-directional
use of the same com port.  It's well explained in the UUCP section of the
(I think) _User Guide_.  Basically, 'uucico' and 'cu' are smart enough
(when a port is "enabled" for login) to kill the getty and "disable" the
port whenever dialing out is initiated; getty is restarted once the call
is completed.  Works great.
--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  fallst!tkevans@wb3ffv.ampr.org

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (11/20/88)

In article <473@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>In article <3700008@eecs.nwu.edu>, skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
>> So far I haven't found any reasonable way to use a modem both as dial in and
>> dial out.
>
>Version 2.2 (and, I assume, later ones as well) provide for bi-directional
>use of the same com port.  It's well explained in the UUCP section of the
>(I think) _User Guide_.  Basically, 'uucico' and 'cu' are smart enough
>(when a port is "enabled" for login) to kill the getty and "disable" the
>port whenever dialing out is initiated; getty is restarted once the call
>is completed.  Works great.

This is not strictly correct, uucico or cu do not "kill" the getty, if they
did that init would be signaled and respawn a new one. If you check during
the uucp use of the port (i.e.,run a ps) you will see the getty is still
a running process, that also means that the port is not "disabled". What
really happens is roughly this: both cu and uucico use a common dialer, in
that dialer a child is forked and ungetty is execed. ungetty first checks to
see if the port is enable, that is if a getty is running on it. If so it
sends a signal to the getty. Now SCO has a special getty with some signal
trapping routines in them, if it receives a SIGUSR1 it will then record the
fact that DIALOUT is using the port and wait on another signal. When uucp
has finished with the port getty will exit and init spawns a new one. NOTE
I say this is "roughly" how it works since I have not seen their code, I
have gleaned this much through tests with alternate getty code interacting
with ungetty. Also this scenario applies to 2.2.X, I believe with 2.3.X
there is a new procedure. If someone from SCO cares to clarify further
or correct my analysis I would certainly be interested.

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA