[comp.unix.xenix] cu on xenix386

jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) (11/20/88)

A sometimes client of mine has a 386 machine with XENIX of some sort on it.
He needs to get some stuff off another machine, an old CPM box. Normally this
would be easy, but we ran into a funny problem. cu doesn't appear to be
working correctly on his 386 XENIX.
	What we are getting is continuous re-echoing. I connect with cu, and
anything I type goes to the CPM box, which echos it back. cu then appears to
re-echo this, and CPM re-echos this, till we're blue in the face.
	We tried using -h, to no avail. His CPM toy works fine using a full-
duplex TV 925 terminal, and I've had no trouble using DOS from his 386 to
dump some other stuff earlier.
	We tried this logged on from the console, and we are going out through
some variety of 8-port board. I don't have any more info on the version of
XENIX, nor the mfg of the 8-port board (this guy knows *nothing* about what he
bought). I al~rso might add that when we transferred the earlier stuff we were
using the normal COM ports.
	Any ideas?

  John Welch                                <backbone>!jjw@igloo
 "Oh, reality - it's not for me, and it makes me laugh,
  but fantasy world, and those Disney girls... I'm coming back!"

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/21/88)

In article <1145@igloo.UUCP>, jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) writes:
> 	We tried this logged on from the console, and we are going out through
> some variety of 8-port board. I don't have any more info on the version of
> XENIX, nor the mfg of the 8-port board (this guy knows *nothing* about what he
> bought). I al~rso might add that when we transferred the earlier stuff we were
> using the normal COM ports.
> 	Any ideas?

Type "uname -a" to find out what version of Xenix he is using.  Also, look
in the /usr/adm directory for various log files which might tell you
what hardware is on the system.  Finally, reboot the system and watch
the boot screen.  All usable hardware is displayed during the boot process.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.