[comp.unix.xenix] Logitech Bus Mouse and VP/ix 1.1.0

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (11/21/88)

Hello netlanders,

I finally got MY version of VP/ix 1.1.0 along with my long awaited
update to 2.3.1 OS.  I installed the 2.3.1 upgrade with no real trouble
and it seems to work fine.  However, when I installed VP/ix, it never
asked me about a mouse and I also remember reading that it might or
might not depending on my setup.  I assumed that because 2.3.1 used the
mouse, VP/ix made use of that.

I followed the instructions to install my mouse.  I have a Logitech Bus
mouse on interrupt vector 5.  I typed 'mkdev mouse' and selected option
'6' for the Logitech Bus mouse.  Well, all went very well, and it relinked
the kernel with no problems.  Then I rebooted my system (cold) and proceeded
to use the 'usemouse' command to check it out.  It didn't work.  The mkdev
prrogram created two device files in /dev/mouse, bus0 and vpix0.  They had
major number 10 and minor numberS 0 and 1 respectively.  When I booted my
system, no mention of the mouse appeared in the boot screen.  When I try to
run vpix or usemouse, I get a "cannot open" error on the bus0 and vpix0 (for
VP/ix).

Does any one have any idea what might be happening here?  SCO, if you are
listening, do you?  The Logitech manual claims that the "bus board i/o
address is set at 23C to 23F."  Shouldn't the mouse, if properly installed,
show up on the boot screen?  Also, I tried setting the base address to 0H
(auto config) and 023CH during the mouse setup with the same results each
time.

I would appreciate any information that anyone might provide on this matter.
It isn't the end of the world I guess, but I have having to figure out how to
use the keyboard again in my DOS applications! :-)  By the way, when the
machine is booted on the DOS partition, the mouse works great.  I have a Tandy
4000 (386/16 mHz) with 2 meg RAM if that is of any consequence.

Email responses would be fine.  I will summarize and post if I learn anything
of real valae.  Thanks in advance!

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/21/88)

In article <364@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US>, root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
> might not depending on my setup.  I assumed that because 2.3.1 used the
> mouse, VP/ix made use of that.

	It does.

> I followed the instructions to install my mouse.  I have a Logitech Bus
> mouse on interrupt vector 5.  I typed 'mkdev mouse' and selected option
> '6' for the Logitech Bus mouse.  Well, all went very well, and it relinked
> the kernel with no problems.  Then I rebooted my system (cold) and proceeded
> to use the 'usemouse' command to check it out.  It didn't work.  The mkdev
> prrogram created two device files in /dev/mouse, bus0 and vpix0.  They had
> major number 10 and minor numberS 0 and 1 respectively.  When I booted my
> system, no mention of the mouse appeared in the boot screen.  When I try to
> run vpix or usemouse, I get a "cannot open" error on the bus0 and vpix0 (for
> VP/ix).

I don't know why, but I have the same problem.  I solve it by booting DOS
first, and running the mouse.com program which seems to initialize the
mouse.  Then I boot xenix and the mouse works fine.

I spoke with SCO about this, and tried changing the interrupt from 5 to 4
(since my tape driver was also on 5).  No dice.  This is not the first
time I have had trouble with xenix recognizing devices on bootup.
SCO, where are you?

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.