[comp.unix.xenix] cannot create directory?

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/14/88)

I recently did an install of xenix/386 2.3.1 on a machine, starting from
an empty machine. After the install was complete, I noted that the space
allocation between root and /u was not very good. I wanted to redo it,
so I created tape backups of each partition, using faind and cpio. I
created a boot floppy with all the utilities I expected to need.

I booted from the floppy and changed the divvy. When I tried to reload I
got "cannot create directory <dirname/here>" for every directory until I
stopped the process. It seems that I can't reload cpio from tape to hard
disk if I boot from floppy. Since this is the most useful backup for me
(xenix tar has some limitations and dump is not friendly for restoring
individual files), does anyone have an idea why this doesn't work?

I finally did a work around, but it's so ugly that I wouldn't consider
doing it again.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (11/16/88)

-d option to your command line.  Hope this solves your problem.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/20/88)

To all of you who wrote and the few who posted about the "Can't create
directory" problem... yes, I had the -d option on, I double checked that
as soon as it failed the first time. My normal cpio reload string is
-icdmv, and I'm sure that's what I had on every time but the first
(which had scrolled off the screen before I checked).

Anyone got any other ideas, or known problems causing the -d option to be
ignored? After trying this four time from the floppy boot, I copied
enough files to the hard disk to boot, and was able to load without
problems. Ideas??

I appreciate all the help, and, yes, I should have mentioned the string
og options used in the first posting. Now that people know it wasn't a
"new user" error, maybe some guru will say "ah, ha!" and tell me what
happened.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) (11/22/88)

In article <12630@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>Anyone got any other ideas, or known problems causing the -d option to be
>ignored? After trying this four time from the floppy boot, I copied
>enough files to the hard disk to boot, and was able to load without
>problems. Ideas??

Perhaps the files were dumped without the "-depth" find option, in which case
directories would appear in the CPIO archive before the files that the
directories contain. The "-m" CPIO option would then force the ownership
of the directories to be restored, perhaps to someone other than the
person doing the restoring. In particular, this would prevent CPIO
from making subdirectories of such inaccessible directories.
--
Dominick Samperi, NYC
    samperi@acf8.NYU.EDU	samperi@marob.MASA.COM