[comp.unix.xenix] Help needed with setting batch filetransfer

ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (11/11/88)

I have been asked to set up a method by which my mentor may
transfer file to another machine (not Xenix) both interactively
and in a batch mode. The modems he has are a V.22 (???) and a hayes
compatible. I do not know SCO Xenix and do not know what popular
communications program are available. I do not want to reinvent the
wheel if someone could send me examples of how to tackle the problem.

The machine is a 386 Clone, and it runs SCO Xenix. Any pointers and
advice on how communications are handled between Xenix and non-UNix
will be helpful.
-------

Anil Khullar                    BITNET:ank@cunyvms1
PhD. Program in Psychology      INTERNET:ankgc@cunyvm.cuny.edu (pref'ed)
CUNY Graduate Center            ATTNET: (w) 212 642 2705
New York NY 10036                       (h) I (PAY) FOR-PRIV

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/15/88)

:
:The machine is a 386 Clone, and it runs SCO Xenix. Any pointers and
:advice on how communications are handled between Xenix and non-UNix
:will be helpful.

The rz/sz programs posted from time to time on the net support XMODEM,
YMODEM, and ZMODEM file transfers between Unix/Xenix systems and
micros calling into them.  YMODEM and ZMODEM are batch protocols
which support an arbitrary number of files per command.  ZMODEM is
best in terms of reliability and features (selective transfers,
crash recovery, etc.)

Omen Technology provides comms software for PCDOS and Unix/Xenix
that support X/Y/ZMODEM file transfers.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (11/16/88)

In article <724@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
> In article <1711ANKGC@CUNYVM> ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
> :I have been asked to set up a method by which my mentor may
> :transfer file to another machine (not Xenix) both interactively
> :and in a batch mode. [..]

Another possibility is the popular (?) public domain PCmail package (of which i
have a copy) that provides a few dos .EXEs that emulate the uucp protocol and
would allow your mentor's machine to be treated as a unix site, for the
purposes of the file transfers.  Then, you could simply:

$ uuto files mentor!hislogin

Of course, this won't work for interactive down loads, but you could leave his
site on overnight in a polling mode to pick up files from your site.

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

mike@bcbs.UUCP (Cardillo) (11/23/88)

If you are interested in a C based, PCDOS look-a-like to uucp, please
contact me.  We have written one for a medical network that we
established in the Rochester Area.  We basically have 100 or so pc
systems communicating with a Xenix based HUB as uucp systems.  It
has worked very well.

I would be happy to send it to any interested person.

Mike Cardillo (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rochester, New York)
716-238-4466
-----
cci632!bcbs!mike