[comp.unix.xenix] BYTE vs. XENIX

tissot@nicaud.UUCP (Kevin Tissot) (11/16/88)

 In the November 1988 issue of BYTE (CHAOS MANNER, pg.113) the
following comments are made regarding SCO XENIX:

"...you cannot run Unix with the Zenith Z-448 video board and the
ZCM-1490 Flat Technology Monitor."

"Unix doesn't really like or understand color, or at least that's my
conclusion."

 I assume that the person who made these comments was trying to run
DOS under UNIX. Since I am trying to justify SCO XENIX as a viable
operating system and my critics are likely to use this article against
me, I would appreciate any comments supporting or denying these
statements - preferably "real world" examples. Please post replies
since our mail link was just implemented and has not been fully
tested. Thanks in advance.

			Kevin Tissot
			(sorry, no signature file yet)

mrm@sceard.UUCP (M.R.Murphy) (11/19/88)

In article <227@nicaud.UUCP> tissot@nicaud.UUCP (Kevin Tissot) writes:

| In the November 1988 issue of BYTE (CHAOS MANNER, pg.113) the
|following comments are made regarding SCO XENIX:

|"...you cannot run Unix with the Zenith Z-448 video board and the
|ZCM-1490 Flat Technology Monitor."

I think that this might better have been stated as
"... I couldn't figure out how to run Unix(tm) ..."
|"Unix doesn't really like or understand color, or at least that's my
|conclusion."
and this as
"I don't understand termcap."

| I assume that the person who made these comments was trying to run
|DOS under UNIX. Since I am trying to justify SCO XENIX as a viable
|operating system and my critics are likely to use this article against
|me, I would appreciate any comments supporting or denying these
|statements - preferably "real world" examples. Please post replies
|since our mail link was just implemented and has not been fully
|tested. Thanks in advance.
|
|			Kevin Tissot
|			(sorry, no signature file yet)

jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (11/19/88)

Does someone know how to get Procomm running right under VP/ix?

Alternatively, does someone know how to get Pcomm running under
SCO Xenix/386?

Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego
mike.lodman@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM
{sdcsvax,cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA}!ncr-sd!ivory!jml

When you die, if you've been very, very good, you'll go to ... Montana.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/20/88)

In article <338@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
> Does someone know how to get Procomm running right under VP/ix?
>
> Alternatively, does someone know how to get Pcomm running under
> SCO Xenix/386?

Watch this group (as well as comp.sources.bugs) for my diffs to
pcomm which will make it work on Xenix 386, 2.3.1 as well as 2.2.3.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Softwarea Products, Inc.

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (11/20/88)

From article <227@nicaud.UUCP>, by tissot@nicaud.UUCP (Kevin Tissot):
> "...you cannot run Unix with the Zenith Z-448 video board and the
> ZCM-1490 Flat Technology Monitor."

I don't know about these pieces of hardware, sorry.

> "Unix doesn't really like or understand color, or at least that's my
> conclusion."
>
>  I assume that the person who made these comments was trying to run
> DOS under UNIX. Since I am trying to justify SCO XENIX as a viable
> operating system and my critics are likely to use this article against
> me, I would appreciate any comments supporting or denying these
> statements - preferably "real world" examples.

Pournelle hates UNIX/Xenix, so he pretends that they don't work. Nobody
has to "justify" the world's best selling version of UNIX. SCO Xenix 386
runs fine, if not great, and while VP/ix isn't perfect, it's good enough
for me to use to run my company (Ventura for DTP software, Quicken for
financials, Flight Simulator for IFR procedures). I'll be glad to send you
a free copy of the issue of UNIQUE wherein we reviewed SCO Xenix 386.

David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870
"I can't answer the door, my wife is taking a bath in the sink."
--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870
"I can't answer the door, my wife is taking a bath in the sink."

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (11/20/88)

Xenix and vp/ix know about color. J.P. is just wrong. Does that
surprise you?

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

van@ocsmd.ocs.com (Van Gale) (11/21/88)

Later in the same article J.P. tells us that Unix(tm) cannot do
multi-tasking!  What a guy!
--
Van Gale
Online Computer Systems                                      van@ocsmd.OCS.COM

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (11/23/88)

[ I tried replying by mail, but it bounced. ]

In article <227@nicaud.UUCP> tissot@nicaud.UUCP (Kevin Tissot) writes:
> In the November 1988 issue of BYTE (CHAOS MANNER, pg.113) the
>following comments are made regarding SCO XENIX:
>
>"...you cannot run Unix with the Zenith Z-448 video board and the
>ZCM-1490 Flat Technology Monitor."
>
>"Unix doesn't really like or understand color, or at least that's my
>conclusion."

In general (as pointed out at length in comp.sys.amiga), Jerry Pournelle
is a strange cross between an expert and a computer-illiterate.  He is
very loath to admit that he doesn't know everything, whilst claiming he
is a typical beginning computer user.  In particular, he will put up with
the most ridiculous behaviour from his beloved DOS (like loading TSR's in
specific orders to prevent assorted unusual behaviour) but if anything
else does not work first-time in whatever weird configuration he happens
to try it in, then it is a total failure.  A good assumption is that if
JP says it works then it does, if he says it doesn't then it probably does
if you set it up correctly, if it's not MS-DOS, ignore any statements he
makes.

I don't know about that particular video board/monitor combination, but in
general Xenix seems quite happy with the standard monochrome/cga/ega/vga/pga
interfaces (I haven't tried Hercules).  Some multi-standard cards may not
work properly (the only one I know of is the ITT IGA which is only found in
ITT computers, and ITT state it doesn't work with Xenix) - you should check.

Colour _is_ supported.  There is a setcolor program which allows you to
choose the foreground/background colours, or you can use ANSI control
sequences to change colours, alter the cursor etc.  Colour is not well
supported in termcap, but this is easily changed (add your own sequences).
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter@stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter