[comp.unix.xenix] Smail help with Xenix

mdella@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Marcos R. Della) (11/23/88)

I am having some problems getting smail2.5 to work correctly under SCO's
version of xenix. The problem lies with the mailer that ALWAYS tacks its
From/To header abover the Smail header that is correctly redirected into
the mail system.

Has anyone had this problem with mail in that it won't accept a re-direction?
Or is there an unpublished toggle in mail that will allow it to accept
straight text?

Last question, how do you start building your pathalias file without being
on the network recieving the uucp maps?

Chow!

Marcos Della

--
..!csustan ->!polyslo!mdella    | mdella@polyslo | Whatever I said doesn't
..!sdsu ---/   Marcos R. Della  | (805) 543-0135 | mean diddly as I forgot

cquenel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Chris Bob Quenelle) (11/23/88)

In article <6125@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> mdella@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Marcos R. Della) writes:
>I am having some problems getting smail2.5 to work correctly under SCO's

	Henry Spencer at utzoo says :
		"Sendmail is a bug, not a feature!"

>Chow!

	Are you hungry Marcos ?
	(Marcos is the only one that can compete with jpochma).

Ciao, baby.

--chris

wayne@etxaz.UUCP (Wayne Johnson) (11/25/88)

(Marcos R. Della) writes:
>I am having some problems getting smail2.5 to work correctly under SCO's
>version of xenix. The problem lies with the mailer that ALWAYS tacks its
>From/To header abover the Smail header that is correctly redirected into
>the mail system.
>
>Last question, how do you start building your pathalias file without being
>on the network recieving the uucp maps?
>
>Chow!
>
>Marcos Della

We have been using smail 2.5 for about a year on machines running
SCO Xenix 286 and 386 and find that it workes quite well.

To get smail to work you need to understand that the Xenix mail system
is not a single program but a chain of programs.  /usr/bin/mail
is the user interface portion of the chain. The real work is
done by /usr/lib/mail/execmail, /usr/lib/mail/mail.local,
/usr/bin/uux and others.  /usr/lib/mail/execmail accepts formated mail,
applies Xenix aliasing, and passes the mail on down the chain.

To get proper headers smail should send its output to /usr/lib/mail/execmail.
We do it by linking /usr/lib/mail/execmail to /bin/lmail and changeing
the folowing line in smail's defs.h file:

#define LMAIL(frm,sys)	"/bin/lmail -f %s",frm /* SV local delivery agent */

We also found it necessary to run smail setgid bin and make the spool
directory writable by group bin or mail just dissapears.

We have used Elm 1.7, Mush 6.3 and Elm 2.1 with this configuration and
all worked well.  You can also still use the original /bin/mail.  We are
using Elm 2.1 now and are quite happy.  Even the filter program
workes with a few modifications.

As for the paths file, If you do not run pathalias you can build
a small file by hand.  We use the Smart-Host feature of smail to
send most mail to a site that does run pathalias.  We then add local
sites to the file by hand.  With a ten line paths file we can mail to
anyuser@anysite and get to almost anyone.  See the man page
paths.1 for the format of the paths file.

-- Wayne

Engineering Technologies             Wayne Johnson
Long Rifle Rd. (P.O. Box 890)        {...}!uunet!etxaz!wayne
Camp Verde, AZ  86322                wayne@etxaz.UUCP
                                     Voice: (602) 567-5198