[comp.unix.xenix] Smart Multiport Board

jamesd@lakesys.UUCP (James Dicke) (12/11/88)

I am looking for an intellegent 4 port multi-port card for my 286 12mhz
that is expandable to 8 ports.  It must also work on a 386 since I plan on
getting one eventually.  It must work with Xenix 2.2.1 286.

What I'm asking for is some names of good cards (& company names), and anyone
who has any (new or used) they wish to sell.  I only need one for now but
I would like to hear from anyone who can answer those questions.

P.S.  I have heard that while SCO boast that they can support up to 16 users
that it is really an imposablity with a 286 or even a 386 without modified
busses.  We plan to run a mutli-user game which will be the user's only
shell.  Is it at all possiable?  Is 8 users more realistic?  What hint/help
can you give on this subject?  (Note: we in no way are going to attempt to
run more then 8 users on the 286.)

P.P.S. Do multi-port board come in special versions for the 386?  I need to
know cause we want to start out on the 286 I have now and upgdade latter.

Sorry for all the questions, but isn't that what the net is for?  Thank you!

James

 |    king@abyss.UUCP    |    {backbone,uunet}!marque!lakesys!abyss!king    |
%|-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------|
%| "God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent- it says so right here on |
%| the label."  God is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs.  ** Space for rent ** |
%|__________________________________________________________________________|
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/11/88)

In article <192@lakesys.UUCP> jamesd@lakesys.UUCP (James Dicke) writes:

>P.S.  I have heard that while SCO boast that they can support up to 16 users
>that it is really an imposablity with a 286 or even a 386 without modified
>busses.  We plan to run a mutli-user game which will be the user's only
>shell.  Is it at all possiable?  Is 8 users more realistic?  What hint/help
>can you give on this subject?  (Note: we in no way are going to attempt to
>run more then 8 users on the 286.)

It all depends on what you expect. Many years ago at a poor university we
had one 8Mhz 68000 box with one slow (65ms) 40Mbyte disk and Unix System III,
which was constantly used by 10 to 12 users doing development in C, and
using vi as editor. It worked (the disk had to be replaced every 6 months
though) and we were reasonably happy with this system.

I ran a "simulation" of 15 users on a 12 Mhz 286 box (with sufficient memory)
which showed that this AT-clone was about 5 times faster than the old 68000.
So the AT can easily handle that many users, and the performance degrades
almost linearly too. But like any other single processor machine even with
linear degradation the 15 user system will be 15 times slower than the single-
user system.

So maybe your users won't be able to share a 286 machine without killing
each other but the machine will certainly be able to handle 16 users (albeit
slowly).

Paul.

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |