[comp.unix.xenix] Modem Capacity of 386's?

dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) (12/10/88)

 I am looking for some good guesses. If you were to pluck out of
the air the number of 1200 baud modem-connected users a 16mhz
386 running Sco Xenix 386 with 28mls disk drives and intelligent
com boards (I am using Computone presently) would support
satisfactorily, what would you say? 16,24,32?
 Users only readng/writing to disk running either e-mail, foxbase
like data base programs, conferencing software. No development
work or compiling.
  I am just trying to get a couple judgements as to just about where
would a 16mhz 386 begin to degrade from such uses. (I would guess
about 6 users on a similar 286)
Dave Hughes
hplabs!well!dave
hplabs!p-lsd!winfree!chariot!dave

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (12/12/88)

In article <7891@well.UUCP>, dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

>  I am looking for some good guesses. If you were to pluck out of
> the air the number of 1200 baud modem-connected users a 16mhz
> 386 running Sco Xenix 386 with 28mls disk drives and intelligent
> com boards (I am using Computone presently) would support
> satisfactorily, what would you say? 16,24,32?
>  Users only readng/writing to disk running either e-mail, foxbase
> like data base programs, conferencing software. No development
> work or compiling.

You have described a very lightly-loaded environment.  It should support at
least 24-32 users, and probably more.  Make sure that you have enough memory
to support them.  Figure about 512k for a foxbase session, less for mail  and
conferencing.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.