[comp.unix.xenix] scsi drives with adaptec aha-1540 controller ?!

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (12/11/88)

hi !
does anyone have experiences with adaptec scsi controllers under xenix ?!
i wonder if appropriate drivers exist, that make it a bootable drive/contr.
config . i figure i'll have to recompile the kernel anyway ?!
any help/info would be appreciated !
(i already mailed to rosso@sco {he asked for peripherals he might write
drivers for} but i didnt get an answer {yet}).
sincerely
		heiko
--
Heiko Blume | lazy  : blume@netmbx.UUCP
Seekorso 29 | crazy : ...!{pyramid,unido,altger}!tmpmbx!netmbx!blume

jim@fsc2086.FSC.COM (Jim O'Connor) (12/15/88)

In article <1817@netmbx.UUCP>, blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
> does anyone have experiences with adaptec scsi controllers under xenix ?!

We have a generic 386 PC using the Adaptec controller (via Tandy) with a
80meg fixed drive (Quantum Q280 via Tandy) and a 44meg removable cartridge
drive (Syquest SQ555).  The hardware setup works wonderfully!  My only
gripe was the cable supplied with the controller, but about $10 in parts from
an electronic supplier solved that problem.

> i wonder if appropriate drivers exist, that make it a bootable drive/contr.
> config . i figure i'll have to recompile the kernel anyway ?!

We run XENIX 2.2.4 from Tandy.  This version of Xenix allows you to use the
SCSI drive as your boot drive if it is the only drive in the system.  OR, you
can keep your regular ST506 controller in the system, boot off the ST506 drive,
and use the SCSI drives as slave devices -- total possible 4 drives.  You can
also connect a SCSI tape drive to the controller, and use the built-in
drivers to access the tape drive.  Tandy has a 150meg tape drive available.

We boot from the SCSI drive and have had no problems at all with the
configuration.

The 2.3GT version of Xenix from SCO (reportedly due out late Dec. or early
January) will also have SCSI support built-in and I was told would support
more than the 2 SCSI drives that 2.2.4 does (I believe the number was 4).
There was also some discussion a few weeks ago about vendor supplied drivers,
but someone else will have to sum up that situation, I don't remember the
details.

--jim
James B. O'Connor				jim@FSC.COM
Filtration Sciences Corp.			+1 615 821 4022 x651
105 W. 45th St. - Chattanooga, TN 37409