[comp.unix.xenix] making SCO Xenix answer the phone

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (12/10/88)

I have a SCO Xenix v2.2.1 80286 system, with a US Robitics Courier
(?) 2400 (Hayes compatible) modem...

I have a cron script do "enable tty1a" at 1am and "disable tty1a" at
4am, as I want the machine to answer the phone between 1am and 4am
only, but it doesn't pick up the phone when it rings. I've tried
"echo ATS0=1 >> /dev/tty1a" and also "... >> /dev/tty1A" and I've
tried enabling tty1A as well as, and instead of, tty1a, and nothing
seems to get the phone to answer!

What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

Jay Libove                      ARPA: jl42@andrew.cmu.edu, libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Avenue, Apt 3	BITNET: jl42@andrew
Pittsburgh, PA 15206		UUCP: uunet!nfsun!libove!libove
(412) 362-8983			UUCP: psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (12/10/88)

Here's something you can try.  It works on my Ven-Tel 1200 baud, but I wonder
if it's modem-dependant.  It helps if you have lights on your modem
so you can see what's happening (the TR light especially).

Configure your modem so that it obeys the "terminal ready" signal from the
computer, and uses the "modem ready" signal to tell the computer when
there's a carrier.  Make sure you've got a cable that carries these signals
between your modem and computer (all 25 to be safe, but you can get by if
you carry the right 6 or 8).

Also configure your modem for auto answer.  The AA light should come on.
Now, when you Xenix-enable the port for logins, the TR light should come
on.  When you disable the port for logins, the TR light should go off.
The key is that your modem will only answer the phone if the TR is on--
even if AA is on continuouly, it will not auto answer if TR is off.
At least this is what happens on my modem.

This way, your "enable /dev/xxxx" alone will trigger the modem to start
answering the phone, simply because the TR signal will be activated.  When
"disable" occurs, the TR will go off, and the modem won't auto answer any more.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/11/88)

In article <AXc5o4y00ZJBE1jVdf@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>I have a SCO Xenix v2.2.1 80286 system, with a US Robitics Courier
>(?) 2400 (Hayes compatible) modem...
>
>I have a cron script do "enable tty1a" at 1am and "disable tty1a" at
>4am, as I want the machine to answer the phone between 1am and 4am
>only, but it doesn't pick up the phone when it rings. I've tried
>"echo ATS0=1 >> /dev/tty1a" and also "... >> /dev/tty1A" and I've
>tried enabling tty1A as well as, and instead of, tty1a, and nothing
>seems to get the phone to answer!
>
>What do I do?

I use a Microcom 2400/c on tty1a between 11pm and 8am. Getting the modem to
pick up the phone is a matter of finding the correct switch-settings, which
will be different for your modem. Ideally the modem should answer the phone
only of DTR is high, which is the case when tty1a is enabled. Hopefully
RTFM (for the modem, not xenix) will help.

However, the command "disable tty1a" will fail if someone is logged on at
the time you want to disable tty1a. So you can never be sure that the line
will indeed be disabled. My solution is to turn off power to the modem
(using a timer) before disabling tty1a. (The modem remains off from 8am
to 11pm.)

This scheme will work with uucp as it will time out after the line is gone.
For automatically logging off when the line is dropped you will normally
need to use tty1A.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

phile@lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier) (12/12/88)

In article <AXc5o4y00ZJBE1jVdf@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> I have a SCO Xenix v2.2.1 80286 system, with a US Robitics Courier
> (?) 2400 (Hayes compatible) modem...
>
> I have a cron script do "enable tty1a" at 1am and "disable tty1a" at
> 4am, as I want the machine to answer the phone between 1am and 4am
> only, but it doesn't pick up the phone when it rings. I've tried
> "echo ATS0=1 >> /dev/tty1a" and also "... >> /dev/tty1A" and I've
> tried enabling tty1A as well as, and instead of, tty1a, and nothing
> seems to get the phone to answer!

	"enable tty1A" --> notice the uppercase which signifies
	the modem control line.

	since that did not work, check you modem switches to use
	DTR -- my telebit will enable/disable with out exception
	but my usrobotics microlink (internal courier) usually
	needs to be used after enabling for the first time (after
	a cold boot) -- for me i use "enable tty2A" then i must
	use the "cu" command once to call someone one that port.

	phil eschallier

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (12/12/88)

Sorry, I lost the article to which I'm replying but Jay Libove
was having trouble getting a modem to respond to "AT" command
strings sent by the shell. (echo "AT S0=1" >> /dev/tty1a)

I had the same trouble and concluded that it had to do with
the sensitivity of the speed with which the modem accepted
characters.

First of all, I think you must get the attention of the
modem with "+++".  This was the string that would not go down
the pipe for us.

Not much help here except to reinforce the reality of the
problem.  Check all your other settings, make sure DTR is up
all the time.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
M5S 2C6

mark@utgpu!rom      - or -     romwa@utgpu

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (12/13/88)

In article <1988Dec12.074847.25955@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) writes:
> Sorry, I lost the article to which I'm replying but Jay Libove
> was having trouble getting a modem to respond to "AT" command
> strings sent by the shell. (echo "AT S0=1" >> /dev/tty1a)
>
> I had the same trouble and concluded that it had to do with
> the sensitivity of the speed with which the modem accepted
> characters.

	Very definitely so.  Some modems are stupid, and cannot receive
characters faster than about 10 cps.

> First of all, I think you must get the attention of the
> modem with "+++".  This was the string that would not go down
> the pipe for us.

	If the modem is in command mode you don't need this.  This is
only needed to get the modem's attention while you are communicating with
another system.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

mikej@cpmain.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (12/15/88)

In article <AXc5o4y00ZJBE1jVdf@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>I have a cron script do "enable tty1a" at 1am and "disable tty1a" at
>4am, as I want the machine to answer the phone between 1am and 4am
>only, but it doesn't pick up the phone when it rings. I've tried
Generally speaking if you cable is wired correctly simply program the modem
with :
AT&D3&W

This will force the modem to perform a software reset on loss of DTR. I have
had the same problems with Hayes compatibles before and this seemed to do the
trick.

--
                Michael R. Johnston - @NET: mikej@cpmain.uucp
...{cmcl2!phri!,uunet!}dasys1!cpmain!mikej || ...philabs!mergvax!cpmain!mikej

mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (12/15/88)

In article <AXc5o4y00ZJBE1jVdf@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>I have a cron script do "enable tty1a" at 1am and "disable tty1a" at
>4am, as I want the machine to answer the phone between 1am and 4am
>only, but it doesn't pick up the phone when it rings. I've tried
>"echo ATS0=1 >> /dev/tty1a" and also "... >> /dev/tty1A" and I've
>tried enabling tty1A as well as, and instead of, tty1a, and nothing
>seems to get the phone to answer!
I do the following on Microport V/AT. I'll bet that this would work
for you too (I remember doing this on a Sun 2 a long time ago...)

	enable.sh

	(stty 2400; echo ATS0=1) < /dev/tty0 > /dev/tty0

	disable.sh

	(stty 2400; echo ATS0=0) < /dev/tty0 > /dev/tty0

The stty sets the line rate for stdin and insures that the command
is echoed to the port at the right baud rate.

--
Mike Mitchell				BELL:	(505) 471-7639
2020 Calle Lorca #43			ARPA:	mdm@cocktrice.UUCP