[comp.unix.xenix] Terminals for use with VP/ix

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (12/15/88)

Hi, I would like to hear from any one using VP/ix (or Merge)
on a terminal, I would like to know what kind of terminal you
have, if it has a PC Mode (sends scan codes), and what you
think of it. I am having a hard time finding a terminal that
I like for this application.

Many thanks in advance.

-stacy

--
"He to whom the early bird runs best learns wisdom and patience!
                          ... I can never remember proverbs" - Charlie Brown

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (12/18/88)

From article <575@mcl.UUCP>, by stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions):
> Hi, I would like to hear from any one using VP/ix (or Merge)
> on a terminal, I would like to know what kind of terminal you
> have, if it has a PC Mode (sends scan codes), and what you
> think of it. I am having a hard time finding a terminal that
> I like for this application.

The Wyse-60, with PC keyboard, works just fine, except that we still can't
get the little menu to pop up in the right-hand corner with VP/ix, so we
use EXITVPIX. It's a scancode CRT and you MUST have that if you are
running any serious DOS software.

--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870

In article <125@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:

>> Hi, I would like to hear from any one using VP/ix (or Merge)
>> on a terminal, I would like to know what kind of terminal you
>> have, if it has a PC Mode (sends scan codes), and what you
>> think of it.

>The Wyse-60, with PC keyboard, works just fine, except that we still can't
>get the little menu to pop up in the right-hand corner with VP/ix, so we
>use EXITVPIX. It's a scancode CRT and you MUST have that if you are
>running any serious DOS software.

Does anyone know of any PC terminal emulators that emulate a scan-code
terminal (I know -- a PC emulating a terminal emulating a PC..)?  Perhaps
it is a silly thing to want, but I can see that it might be useful to
log into a 386 running VP/ix for occasional access to large data files
instead of having to copy them off to the local machine.  Has anyone
modified kermit to do this (or is it possible just with the SET KEY command)?
Kermit would be especially useful since it already knows how to talk over
the starlan network.

Les Mikesell

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (12/21/88)

<  From article <575@mcl.UUCP< , by stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions):
<
< The Wyse-60, with PC keyboard, works just fine, except that we still can't
< get the little menu to pop up in the right-hand corner with VP/ix, so we
< use EXITVPIX.  It's a scancode CRT and you MUST have that if you are

Strange, we use the Wyse60 and our little menu pops up just fine. What are we
doing wrong? :)
Must be in your termcaps.
--
Fred Rump, Pres.       | UUCP: {rutgers,cbmvax,bellcore}!bpa!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}